Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2021, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Can Offline Bounce be trusted...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
But if you use outboard inserts, or MIDI tracks, or DSP plugins, then you can't use it, is that correct...?

Unfortunately we can’t defy the laws of physics.

Outboard inserts and MIDI triggering HW instruments can never be captured in non real-time. Just what’s ITB.

I only had an issue once with offline bounce. Turns out it was a plugin issue and was also happening in real-time. Didn’t pick up on it at first and thought it was the offline render.

So, the short of it, IMO, you can trust it. But, I’d encourage you to do some tests and see if you notice anything. The reality is, if there is an issue, then it’s technically broken and it’s a bug that needs to be fixed. There’s no reason the feature should not work as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2021, 03:57 AM

What Sardi said.

You CAN offline bounce with AAX-DSP plugins and VIs
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-30-2021, 04:22 AM

I completely understand WHY you can't offline bounce with outboard and MIDI, even though I didn't do well in physics in high school. Just confirming. But I didn't realize you could use AAX-DSP plugins when doing offline bounce. I thought they got automatically bypassed?
Old 06-30-2021, 04:54 AM

In my experience offline bounce works great in Pro tools. The only time I’ve had problems with it was because of plugin bugs. I would take the time to figure a out which plugs are problematic and find a work around. Some times VIs can do weird things too.

And yes DSP plugins are included in offline bounce they just get processed as the native version offline.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:29 PM

You CAN technically do an offline bounce with outboard inserts. It will just run real time so no benefit
Old 06-30-2021, 08:01 PM

I've been offline bouncing since the option first appeared and although it could be a little sketchy in those days it seems to be relatively solid.

However, I will ALWAYS online bounce an important track, and still listen back to the entire thing after the file is created. Even if it's 99.9% reliable, I don't want that .1 getting through at a bad time.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I've been offline bouncing since the option first appeared and although it could be a little sketchy in those days it seems to be relatively solid.

However, I will ALWAYS online bounce an important track, and still listen back to the entire thing after the file is created. Even if it's 99.9% reliable, I don't want that .1 getting through at a bad time.
That's why I like to do an offline during lunch or coffee break or something. Then we can do a playback of the actual deliverables. Always listen back!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Long time Pro Tools user, last on HD2 Accel PT10, however VERY new to HDX, running 2021.6 on a Mac Pro 5,1 on Mojave. I am also new to Offline Bounce, a feature I was looking forward to in this upgrade, but also one I am inherently suspicious of. I've been working with my new system for a week or so and just did my second Offline Bounce of a 66 minute comedy album. Not a lot of plugin stuff going on at all. All Native plugs. Couple UAD plugs, Weiss compressor and L2 on Mix Bus. Very basic. Took about 20 minutes to bounce and when I loaded the resulting WAV file back into the session to cut up into tracks there was a weird whoosh sound right at the top as the audience fade was coming in. Definitely not in the mix. That gives me pause. Is Offline Bounce known to introduce errors/artifacts under certain circumstances? It's good that the error was right up front so I heard it, but now I feel I need to listen through the whole audio file to see if there are any other errors, which pretty much defeats the time saving purpose of offline bounce... Would welcome any thoughts about this. Thanks!
Thanks for raising this. I will listen carefully to my bounces today!
Old 07-02-2021, 08:37 AM

Over the years, I've noticed a *few* dynamics plugs (particularly ones that boast of "analog" modeling) don't respond exactly the same in online vs real-time. No, I haven't compiled a list, but there's a couple that I watch out for.

That said, I find offline bounce reliable, though I would never send anything out without listening to it first.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6