Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Midi Interface Problems with Pro Tools

I am a new user so it may just be because of my own lack of knowledge that I can't find the answer to this question. The last few days I have been using my Korg Triton Le keyboard and a midi interface with Pro Tools LE on my computer. So far I have recorded about a minute of data on about 7 tracks of midi. Recently, when I start to record Pro Tools will let me record for about 30 seconds and then it will quit on me. What I mean is that the midi note I was playing will stall and keep playing. The transport window shows that Pro Tools is still recording but the note stalls in the edit window. When I try to stop Pro Tools from recording the whole program will cease to respond to me and I have to Cntrl-Alt-Dlete out. I am using a 2 GHz computer with almost 1 GB of RAM and the newest version of Pro Tools LE with an mBox.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Midi Interface Problems with Pro Tools

Is this just a hard question (because I'm a begginer)? I have a good computer system I think, is it some setting that I need to initiate? I've tried everything, please help me!!!

Thanks.

Ben.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:05 PM

OK, I'll respond...
How do you have your synth cabled up to the computer - one cable, or two?

Probably two, since you want to record your keyboard, and playback through the keyboard's sound module.

You might have a MIDI feedback loop. In Pro Tools MIDI menu, uncheck 'MIDI Thru' and see what happens.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:20 PM

Also... make sure on the Korg that you set Local to off. This will avoid duplicating notes and getting midi stuck
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-02-2003, 04:27 PM

Well, if THRU is turned off AND Local is off, he won't hear anything while he's playing. Most important is to NOT have THRU turned on on both PTLE and the synth.

Quote:
Also... make sure on the Korg that you set Local to off. This will avoid duplicating notes and getting midi stuck

Old 10-02-2003, 04:31 PM

correctamundo. I would keep thru on in PT since it must be set to off on the Korg.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-02-2003, 05:12 PM

whatever works, as long as no loop happens. I prefer no MIDI Thru on the sequencer, and make sure I don't use the Thru output on my keyboard, and leave local control ON.

This way, I don't have to change anything on my keyboard when it's NOT connected to a running sequencer.

But anyway, I'm anxious to hear if what this guy was experiencing was just a jammed up MIDI loop.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:55 AM

Thank you very much. I will try that out and I will post again to tell you how things went. I thought during the night that it might help if I just reduced the number of track to about 5 midi but I definately am going to want more than 5 midi tracks in the future so I need to know this stuff. Also, if there is anyone else who has ideas please post and I'm going to try all of them. If I didn't mention it before the midi interface I am using is Midiman Uno 1x1.

Gracias.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:57 AM

Hey tele_player, I did what you said and it worked. I was able to play the piano sequence with no problem and just to make sure I played about a minute longer using a pedal and it worked just fine. Thank you for having patience with a begginner like me. I'm learning more and more though so maybe one day I'll be helping people on these forums too. Thanks again.

Benjamin Barry.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:09 PM

excellent!
Quote:
Hey tele_player, I did what you said and it worked. I was able to play the piano sequence with no problem and just to make sure I played about a minute longer using a pedal and it worked just fine. Thank you for having patience with a begginner like me. I'm learning more and more though so maybe one day I'll be helping people on these forums too. Thanks again.

Benjamin Barry.