Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Time-compression artifacts

Am I dreaming, or has the time-compression in PT 9 taken a quality hit compared with earlier versions? I used to do overall compressions to bring an announcer read in from 31 to 30 seconds on a radio spot and I couldn't hear problems EVER, and now I can shave 10 frames off a slightly overlength announcer and I hear big clicky artifacts. Maybe it's just a coincidence of voice types or something, but I've noticed it three times in the last couple of weeks. Anyone else?

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Time-compression artifacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Keyes View Post
Am I dreaming, or has the time-compression in PT 9 taken a quality hit compared with earlier versions? I used to do overall compressions to bring an announcer read in from 31 to 30 seconds on a radio spot and I couldn't hear problems EVER, and now I can shave 10 frames off a slightly overlength announcer and I hear big clicky artifacts. Maybe it's just a coincidence of voice types or something, but I've noticed it three times in the last couple of weeks. Anyone else?

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Hi,

You probably know this! but you can assign any pitch shift plugin in prefs to be used in the TCE tool. I have assigned Waves time shifter, i find it better.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Just the opposite for me! I've used TCE tool with much better results on dry vox. Easily squeeze almost 10% without issue.

For HEAVY time compression/pitch change I use an external app., Prosoniq's TimeFactory 2 http://www.prosoniq.com/editing-products/timefactory-2/
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM

I would recommend Serato Pitch n Time Pro.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 AM

X-Form for me, (as long as you're charging by the hour!)
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 AM

X-form +1

But... when changing tempo on drumloops I use Time Shift and Varispeed to just pitch it up or down without any stretch algorithm involved. Best quality that way but when "stretching" longer files, lets say a whole 3 minutes drumbounce I get several nasty digital spikes in the processed files, it is not an overload thing, can be a spike on a place which before was dead silence...
If I undo and apply the settings again, the spikes will occur on the same places...
Am I alone with this?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
You probably know this! but you can assign any pitch shift plugin in prefs to be used in the TCE tool.
D'oh! OK I feel like an idiot for not checking this, but I assumed when I installed PT9 that it would default to the same default compression tool it used to. Instead, it's set to something called "Time Shift" which is why compression all sucked. I changed it back to Digidesign TC/E and everything's fine now. Thanks so much Chris!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto