Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-1999, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Time compression

sonicworks (spelling?) has an excellent pitch shift and/or time compression algorhythm. i no longer use audiosuite pitchshift or time compression. this program is free, and can be upgraded. you can find it at presonus.com or music machine has it too.
Old 10-20-1999, 06:51 PM

The only way to get good time compression in PT is to have a sound file that's reasonably close already (plus or minus 1/4 second) and of good sound quality. I do all my Drum CD sampling with Bias PEAK, then convert them to 24bit SDII files for export. It took me a while to learn how to tweak it, but I get good results now.

Good luck,
doc22
Old 10-20-1999, 09:27 PM

Fasten your seat belts guys.

I use time exp/comp a lot, and I've used most of the ones out there, and I can tell you right now - forget the Digi time comp/exp, or Sonicworks, or Time Mod, or Time Factory in Logic or any other time comp/exp plugin.

There's a new kid in town.

A company called Serato has developed a time comp/exp plugin that is mind blowing. They are not doing time comp/exp in the conventional way, i.e., duplicating or deleting redundant samples, which, when you
start to change more than a few percent from the original source, are riddled with artifacts. Their plugin is called,
"Pitch 'n Time", and uses a brand new algorithm.

At the AES convention, they were using the Dire Straights tune, "Money For Nothing", as a demo. They were taking it almost to half-time and it just sounded like the record was recorded in that tempo...phased locked stereo
and zero artifacts! Very scary!!

I have been beta testing it, and it blows my mind every time I use it.

Go to:

http//www.serato.com

for more info.

Release time is around December, maybe sooner.

[This message has been edited by Stratman (edited 10-20-99).]
Old 10-21-1999, 12:26 AM

Default Time compression

Upon recently buying an audio CD of drum loops, the salesman said I could alter the tempo by using the time compression in Audio Suite. However, the sound quality was totally distorted when I did this. I heard there was something I could do pertaining to dithering to fix this problem. Any ideas?

------------------
Old 10-22-1999, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all your help! I'll check into all those ideas!

------------------