Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Midi Patch names in OSX (.midnam)

Anyone know how to create these patch lists?

You need them to get your sound module's patch names to pop up in PT6. I've got my two modules to output a text doco but I can't seem to be able to turn that into anything that protools will read.

Other than that, Protools 6 has got rid of all my old issues. (No more DAE -36 errors!!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers fellas.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Midi Patch names in OSX (.midnam)

I've been inquring too about a utility to convert my OMS names to .midnam (XML). No one at DIGI knows of one, but they "think its in the works". I DID however have success when I tried loading the names for my Roland M-DC1. I got an error that the names didn't match. Apple's AMS device list called it a M-DC1 and the DIGI patch name called it MDC-1. I used Text edit on the DIGI patch and changed the name to MDC-1 and all the names showed up!

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 02-21-2003, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I DID however have success when I tried loading the names for my Roland M-DC1.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Tim, so what did you do to load the Roland sounds in. Did you drag just drag in the old OMS patchlist?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2003, 09:35 AM

I got this reply from Adrian Haselhuber of Digi. My apologies if it is bad form to post this, I see it as public information not shared in any sense of private info.

"Pro Tools 6 is taking
advantage of a brand new Apple file specification for patch name support. Patch
names are now stored using XML (Extensible Markup Language) files which
essentially are text files that look a bit like HTML. They're actually very easy
to edit so you can create your own totally customized patch name files!

I'd suggest you go to our download area and get yourself a PDF copy of the Pro
Tools 6 user guide. Read page 343 and following for basic instructions on how to
use patch name files on OS X. We will publish a little article in the DigiZine
that describes how to create your own files, where the pitfalls are (this is
very new technology so there are some inconsistencies) and so on. I can't tell
you when exactly we'll have this article ready to go but you sure will find out
on your own ;-)

There currently is no converter tool for OMS patch names. I'm pretty confident
that users like Pete Yandell (the guy who created the really cool MIDI Patchbay
application, check out pete.yandell.com) already think about a little shareware
tool."
Old 02-21-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlone:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I DID however have success when I tried loading the names for my Roland M-DC1.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Tim, so what did you do to load the Roland sounds in. Did you drag just drag in the old OMS patchlist?

<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Roland D-MC1 is actually in the Digi generic instrument names list it just had a differant name (MDC-1 or M-DC1) than the Apple AMS list.

I just opened Digi's .midinam file in text edit, found where the "MDC-1" was, and changed it to the AMS name.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ckevperry:
I got this reply from Adrian Haselhuber of Digi. My apologies if it is bad form to post this, I see it as public information not shared in any sense of private info.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think if you told him you were going to do it ... it's ok.

I'm glad you did cos there is some stuff in there I am very interested in.

I am trying to follow this very carefully as I am planning my upgrade to HD and OSX. I hope it all does work out because I thing Digi needs a shot in the arm. The other programs like Logic and Nuendo are looking good.

I can't move until I know things are working right. I will run a 001 on OS9.1 and PT5.xx as I trade my Mix+ for the HD. I'll use this system as a legacy system for my archives... which include much Sample Cell and MasterList stuff. I also have an AMIII card in reserve on a 7300.

My OMS Names libraries are all working so I am not looking forward to a move. Mid in PT is not what it should be and it does take much work to migrate a large session across to a new system.

Re-mapping all the midi stuff should be easier.

I know the above all sounds a bit selfish but years ago the move to PCI and PT4.0 was an easy choice but still painful. This move to HD and OSX seems to be a little harder.