Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 AM

Default How woudl you guys approach this situation?

Hello,

I had a singer/songwriter come by to record a few songs. She has typically recorded her Vocal and Guitar at the same time in past sessions with other engineers. However,this time she wants larger productions with percussion and bass and harmonies and other elements

Do you guys think doing the Vocals and Guitar at the same time is still a good set up for this? if we are planning to add more elements later?

for her I use figure 8 mics on the guitar and voice. and then do over dubs later on . Her timing on the guitar is not the best so we have been with the over dubs

So the question is should I continue to try to get one great performance recording guitar and vocals together. even though we will be adding more elements and timing can become an issue

Or try to get a great guitar performance and do the vocals separate?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Default Re: How woudl you guys approach this situation?

Depends on the situation. If she can sing really tight, like, "spot-on" tight, she could do the gtr/vox, then overdub a vocal on top. This is pretty much how to get the "Elliot Smith" sound. Then, just do the backing production as well.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Default Re: How would you guys approach this situation?

Thanks for the reply,

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm wondering. After the vocal dub, would you treat the overdub as the lead vocal? or the gtr/vocal as the lead When it comes to mix time? even though the Vocal that was recorded with the guitar will have a bit of guitar bleed?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Default Re: How would you guys approach this situation?

Well, you could do another guitar dub, too. And eq them both differently than the gtr/vocal track.

Or, if she wanted, just do the guitar separate, and the vocal separate.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Right,

Seems I have a choice to make, I'm torn on how to do this. If I do the GTR and Vox separately I may (will )have timing issue to contend, and then risk the organic feel of the live performance, if I do the GTR/VOX at the same time it may be tough come mix time.... errr..this is a tough one.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

I would record her as she is used to doing it. Vocals and guitar in one take. Then I would use that as a scratch track to build the other elements around. You may need to use elastic audio a bit to line that track up with a click. Then once the other tracks are done, I would then re-record her vocal and guitar on separate passes. At least then she would have something other than a click to play guitar along with that may help her timing. Do her vocal last so she has the complete song to sing to. Then delete scratch track unless it's REALLY good.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
I would record her as she is used to doing it. Vocals and guitar in one take. Then I would use that as a scratch track to build the other elements around. You may need to use elastic audio a bit to line that track up with a click. Then once the other tracks are done, I would then re-record her vocal and guitar on separate passes. At least then she would have something other than a click to play guitar along with that may help her timing. Do her vocal last so she has the complete song to sing to. Then delete scratch track unless it's REALLY good.
Sounds like great advice.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

That's a pretty damn good Idea!! THANKS!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM

yep - i use the same tecnique