Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM

Default 002 Support dying off soon....

So, I thought I would see what kind of responses this idea gets....

We have all heard I am sure that AVID is planning on pulling the plug on devices such as the 002 next year when PT 11 is released. Apparently, avid is going to cease support for the older interfaces and no longer write drivers for them.

So for those of us that have wicked awesome Black Lion modded 002's that are great sounding interfaces, what are we to do???

My question is, for the savvy programmer types (not me!) will it be possible to "reverse engineer" a driver for the 002 after avid cuts it off? I love my BLA 002 and hate the idea of replacing it to continue my Pro Tools quest into the future......

Anybody have any insight?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Re: 002 Support dying off soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZProductions View Post

We have all heard I am sure that AVID is planning on pulling the plug on devices such as the 002 next year when PT 11 is released. Apparently, avid is going to cease support for the older interfaces and no longer write drivers for them.

So for those of us that have wicked awesome Black Lion modded 002's that are great sounding interfaces, what are we to do???

My question is, for the savvy programmer types (not me!) will it be possible to "reverse engineer" a driver for the 002 after avid cuts it off? I love my BLA 002 and hate the idea of replacing it to continue my Pro Tools quest into the future......

End of support doesn't necessarily mean that it will stop working. Also of course it would be possible for someone to reverse engineer the 002 to make drivers for them, but I'm wondering of the legality of it.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZProductions View Post

i have a 002 console and i doubt seriously if we will see a 64bit driver pop up from anywhere for the 002/003 for PT11...IMHO. new interface time or stay with PT10 or earlier...

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Pro Tools 10 Software already contains 64-bit driver of 002 and 003.
This is why Pro Tools 10 runs on Lion or Snow Leopard 64-bit kernel.

# pwd
/System/Library/Extensions/DigidesignFireWireAudio.kext/Contents/MacOS
# ls -l
total 2288
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1170744 Oct 24 2010 DigidesignFireWireAudio
# file DigidesignFireWireAudio
DigidesignFireWireAudio: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
DigidesignFireWireAudio (for architecture i386): Mach-O object i386
DigidesignFireWireAudio (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64
#
Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 AM

yep...brain freeze on that one!!! let's hope it was temporary. of course i stand corrected

but of course, coding the driver to run on a 64bit OS is different than coding it to run with a 64bit version of PT. right now those drivers are coded to run with a 32bit app on a 64bit OS. but you are right it is a 64bit driver.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
yep...brain freeze on that one!!! let's hope it was temporary. of course i stand corrected

but of course, coding the driver to run on a 64bit OS is different than coding it to run with a 64bit version of PT. right now those drivers are coded to run with a 32bit app on a 64bit OS. but you are right it is a 64bit driver.
I wouldn't call it 'brain freeze' mykhal,, most of us know what you meant and assume that you knew what you were saying, and, in assumeing that we'd figure it out, I'm sure you meant what you said. Whether or not you said it correctly could be debated, but, 'brain freeze',,, no, not you,,, not yet!!! (Give it a few years).

Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
I wouldn't call it 'brain freeze' mykhal,, most of us know what you meant and assume that you knew what you were saying, and, in assumeing that we'd figure it out, I'm sure you meant what you said. Whether or not you said it correctly could be debated, but, 'brain freeze',,, no, not you,,, not yet!!! (Give it a few years).

Mike
thanks Mike!!! whew!!! you've put my mind at rest!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Meanwhile - the question remains unanswered...

Hi....!

I haven't posted to the DUC for many years although I used to be a regular here. I have an 002 and am running 8 on it. It runs fine but my computer is 2004 spec and is not really very robust. So, I was thinking of getting a new computer.

But I am just now learning about 11 appearing, with no more RTAS and no more support for the 002.

Frankly, it really puts me off Avid. Making your products obsolete is the ulitmate in customer abuse. I like vintage pedals and have spent mega$ to upgrade old amps, etc. Like the OP in this message, it seems unfair for Avid to do this to us.

So... are we all expected to just use our expensive 002 and 003s for boat anchors? Will they be support in the Mac versions of 11? (if I am getting new computer I could get a Mac).

Or is it time to move over to Reaper?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates View Post
Meanwhile - the question remains unanswered...

Hi....!

I haven't posted to the DUC for many years although I used to be a regular here. I have an 002 and am running 8 on it. It runs fine but my computer is 2004 spec and is not really very robust. So, I was thinking of getting a new computer.

But I am just now learning about 11 appearing, with no more RTAS and no more support for the 002.

Frankly, it really puts me off Avid. Making your products obsolete is the ulitmate in customer abuse. I like vintage pedals and have spent mega$ to upgrade old amps, etc. Like the OP in this message, it seems unfair for Avid to do this to us.

So... are we all expected to just use our expensive 002 and 003s for boat anchors? Will they be support in the Mac versions of 11? (if I am getting new computer I could get a Mac).

Or is it time to move over to Reaper?
Hmmmm,,,, I feel your pain,, I have the 003, works great, and I hate to make changes,,,,, but!!! I said the same thing when they said they were no longer making 8 track tapes for my car stereo,,, It was 'killer man'!! And they were going to start useing little tiny cassette tapes instead??? What!!!???
So heres the way I see it, for me.... If, (and I guess its gonna(??)) they finaly get their act together and give us real 64 bit capability, so our (now allready very old i7 64 bit PC's) will truely be usefull with all this RAM we have,, and if RTAS can be replaced with a format that really rocks, then I'm all for it!! Can't wait!! The only draw back will be its uselessness until 'Waves' plugs support it!??? Hopefully Avid is allready talking with 3rd party venders and it won't be another 3 years until it all comes together.
And,,, no,, I don't still have my 8 track deck,,, Hmmm ,,,, wonder what ever happened to it???? Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM

speakering of REAPER...

I've been doing this PTLE on PC thing since 5.3, and built some of the first Allen Hallada boxes. I have a very stable system and a decent part time business.

A few days ago I loaded reaper onto my old laptop (1.8gz single core AMD Emachines) to do a remote gig. To test it I recorded 20 tracks at 48 samples latency, with antivirus running, while I surfed the next. In fact, what I recorded was internet radio playing through the speakers of the laptop (internal sound card) while I recorded through an Octopre going into an RME FF800. After 25 minutes of no problems I quit the test.

I use PT predominently in the studio but live, w/ reaper, there's less stuff to pull out of the rack for remote gigs, and with the FF I can record 26 tracks (28 if I had 2 more channels of conversion).

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com