Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Default Ver. 7.4LE, need advice

I know that I'm gonna sound like a luddite or something, but anyway...

I've been using a very old PC (was built by a guy specifically for PT use) with 7.4, XP SP2, 1.67 gig, 2MB memory

The dang thing has held up well, and I knew from a friend that it was a very stable version long after the 8.x came out with all their issues... but the motherboard is showing its age as well as the OS HD...and it's better to source this all out now before it poops out (I do have backup on all data)

And since I would have to buy all new plugins if I went to a newer version (and my 7.4 really does fill my needs, and all my stuff is recorded on it), I would like some advice from the seers here.

Is it possible to buy a newer PC and re-load with XP (SP2) and just re-install all of my software? I know that my version demands an IDE HD, (7200rpm?) but would the newer SATA ones work?

If anyone could give me some help on what I need to transfer everything to a more stable environment, with specs that are required I would be thrilled. I have to be able to keep recording the music no one else will hear, LOL!

Thanks, Scott
Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Ver. 7.4LE, need advice

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en352437

Looks like 7.4 is only qualified up through Vista.

It may work with Win7 but you may have to fiddle with it. but if you could get it running on Windows 7 that's a definite benefit, vista while not bad in itself was a quagmire of peripherals and drivers not working or not released in time by 3rd party oem's (iirc)

I would go with the new machine the Newer sata 3 drives the newer processors everything computer is tons better than it was 5-7 years ago

SSD is really the hard drives golden standard these days. But since we didn't mention anything about money I'll assume it's a no limits kind of build
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Ver. 7.4LE, need advice

Actually I agree with YYR123 that it would make sense to upgrade all your stuff just because computers
and softwares etc. have developed unbelievably fast and it all has come so far by now but if you really and
seriously want to stay with PTLE7+Windows XP, you may have a look at this unit on Amazon (for example).

You could get this refurbished, relatively powerful Dell PC with 3,4GHz, 4GB Ram and a 7200rpm SATA HD
with 400GB, with Windows XP SP3 for only $140.- which seems to be a pretty good offer as you would not
need anything else for the use with Pro Tools LE7 (except a 2nd SATA drive for your audio files/Pro Tools sessions).

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-...Windows+XP+SP2

I´m no expert with PCs but I definitely don´t think you will find a new PC you can install Windows XP on.
So this might be kinda affordable compromise IMO.

Anyway, all the best,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Ver. 7.4LE, need advice

price out all cost to upgrade then figure out home much fiddling you will need to do to make XP work on a newer computer, finding old drivers, ect.

I'd go with the full upgrade my self

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig