Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2002, 02:53 AM

Default XP Warning

I don't know what did it and hopefully I'm an isolated case, but here goes. I have a 3 month old Dell P4, Win XP PC. I set it up for dual booting using System Commander 7 so I could use PTLE. A few days ago I downloaded and installed the new PTLE. The first time I ran it it ran OK, but when I exited I got an LE error message. Then I got an XP error message (on the dreaded blue screen). When I tried to reboot WIndows XP it no longer recognized my C drive. I spent an entire day trying to get it back but finally had to do a clean install of XP. Even after the install, my boot drive came up as 'G' and my old 'D' drive came back as 'C' (though 'G' is now my master boot drive).

I don't know what the f happened. I think it was System Commander 7 related, but the damage was severe and irreversable. If you have a dual boot setup MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP EVERYTHING before installing the new LE (I didn't, so now I'm trying to ressurect 6 weeks worth of data).
Billy Sarokin
Old 06-26-2002, 03:11 AM

Default Re: XP Warning

It is much cleaner to just use 2 disks and swap the boot in the bios.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:26 AM

My money is on System Commander being the culprit. There's no need to use it since it's built into XP (dual boot capability). Just make sure that the older OS is installed prior to XP. I don't recall anyone experiencing your problem during the testing phase of the product, however, no one was using System Commander to dual boot.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:56 AM

something similar happened to me when i was loading XP on a machine at work. i got these crazy errors about having no drive installed and it wouldn't load. turned out the ide channels were installed backward (primary was connected to cdrom, secondary was connected to the hard drive). i switched them and no problems since.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:45 PM

I'm glad for all that mine was an isolated case. And yes, I'm sure SC7 was the culprit. The reason I was using it was because XP came pre-loaded and I had added many add'l programs before I discovered that PTLE would not work on it. Of course, all the 'dual boot' info said I had to install XP last. Since it was already installed, SC7 was the only way to set up a 2nd boot with ME. To make matters worse, since the system was brand new I wasn't that diligent about backing up, so I lost a lot of data in the fiasco.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting it back together. But for any one else with SC& and a dual boot. WATCH OUT!
Billy Sarokin