Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2002, 01:27 AM

Default MIDI Timing on PT LE

Hi Folks,

I've been timidly recording in PT LE for a few months and this issue is probably over covered.

For many years, "producing" demos on a DA88 out of a stand alone sequencer (a Korg Trinity) allowed me to perfect my songwriting skills. First arraging on the sequencer, then recording the arrangement on 2 Tracks, doing the guitars & vocals on 6 Tracks and finaly mixing on a Mackie 1604 to DAT via a DBX. The goal was not to final cut my songs (and I gess it is still not) but to be able to expose my work and eventually get a record deal.

I've been on and off with music lately (having to work for living). Now I'm back to make it right.

Anyway, I was under the impression that I had lost the ability to program a streight grove. As a matter of fact, I use a midi express USB (motu) to synch the trinity and a proteus 2K. My set up is pretty small yet clean, organized and up to date. CPU limitation problems on my G4 450 are behind me.

The fact is that yesterday, I was working on my girlfriend synthesizer, helping out with her new song, programing a laidback beat on the sequencer (systematic quantize on all tracks plus one free almost shuffle track), and that "relying on midi machines" feeling was back again.

All this story to say that now I know for sure that it isn't me nor my ears nor some kind of fatigue !!!

I'd be more than interested to find out about any work around; I know about the general midi offset one in the preference menu but the reality is that PT can't handle a certain midi tracks accumulation. Input filtering midi information may facilitate the overall treatment, but that still doesn't reach reasonable satisfaction.

Since 75% of the music produtions is based on computer tech, there must be a practical answer for that. The general tendency seems to be the use a third part software. I'd like to share some advise.

Rémy