Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 10:24 AM

Default How to stop playback starting where I last drew MIDI note

I'm very inexperienced with Pro tools and I was wondering if there is a preference or something I'm missing. Whenever I go to draw a MIDI note in whenever I'm in loop playback, it'll get rid of the loop and have the playback start there. Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-16-2022, 01:50 PM

Default Re: How to stop playback starting where I last drew MIDI note

Check your scrolling options for the midi window. Small drop down at the upper right corner of the midi notes window.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:21 PM

Perhaps, it is related to "Link Edit and Timeline Selection"

(Search in the reference guide, there are separate settings with this name for Edit Window, MIDI Editor, Score Editor)

Look in chapter 30 of Pro Tools Reference Guide, in particular.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 07-17-2022, 06:40 PM

This was the first thing I had to figure out when coming to PT from another DAW.

When looping and editing, disabling "Playback Follows Insertion" maintains the loop selection while editing. After stopping it re-starts playback at the top of the loop while maintaining the selection.
Great for choosing a section to loop and edit during playback.

The Playback Follows Insertion button can be found upper left, just after the 12345, 4th button over. Disable it when you want to MAINTAIN the loop selection.

Alternatively, you would enable it (Blue) when you are playing back audio audio/MIDI (stopping and going while editing, for example). This way the cursor follows the current playback position and stops as you go instead of going all the way back to the top of the selection. This option doesn't maintain the selection.

If you want to start playback from where you last edited don't select the entire loop section. Instead, manually move the cursor to where you want to start. Then when you stop the cursor should remain there (when Playback Follows Insertion is enabled).

However, if you double click to open the MIDI editor, it will select and maintain the entire clip length. This is cool if you don't mind starting at the top of the loop each time you hit playback.

If you want to open the Editor at a point you manually choose, move the cursor to the location & use the (Start+ = ) Windows or (Command+ =) shortcut to open the MIDI Editor.
In this case, the playback cursor should stop and resume as you do when Playback Follows Insertion is enabled.

Extra Tip: Alt+F (PC) or Opt+F (Mac) puts the selection in full focus on the timeline.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-17-2022 at 08:22 PM.