Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Fades - Adjust Bounds problem

Hi, I know this is common knowledge to most people, and i'm sure it's been posted here millions of times but i couldn't find it in the search. PT7LE PC, but I used to get this problem on PT6 Mac too. Some session if I want to do simple crossfades either SmartTooling them or highlighting and CTRL-Fing them I get the dialogue box that asks if I want to skip or adjust the bounds. Yet I believe on other sessions I'll never see the dialogue once. What am I doing wrong? TIA

Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Fades - Adjust Bounds problem

Quote:
Hi, I know this is common knowledge to most people, and i'm sure it's been posted here millions of times but i couldn't find it in the search. PT7LE PC, but I used to get this problem on PT6 Mac too. Some session if I want to do simple crossfades either SmartTooling them or highlighting and CTRL-Fing them I get the dialogue box that asks if I want to skip or adjust the bounds. Yet I believe on other sessions I'll never see the dialogue once. What am I doing wrong? TIA

I have just come across the same problem. Furthermore, if I select 'adjust bounds' PT seems to alter the duration of the wave...e.g. bass note wave is elongated?

Anyone have advice on this issue........Shane you out there?
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-17-2006, 08:30 PM

I may be off-base regarding exactly the problem your experiencing, but I was under the impression that this error occurs if there is insufficient overlapping audio to perform the crossfade completely in the selected area.

I've only ran into it in this context, where I'm trying to fade into a file without enough overlapping audio. Does that make sense or am i missing something in the problem?

jt
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 PM

jtoole,

That is exactly the situation. Do you know why the audio seems to be altered by PT if I select 'adjust bounds"? Perhaps I am doing something wrong when I am setting up the crossfade area. How do I determine the appropriate amount of area?

cheers,

dave

PS how is the rig running tonight?
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:

That is exactly the situation. Do you know why the audio seems to be altered by PT if I select 'adjust bounds"? Perhaps I am doing something wrong when I am setting up the crossfade area. How do I determine the appropriate amount of area?

PS how is the rig running tonight?
Thanks for asking about the rig. Unfortunately still having the DAE 6 errors. Just about to leave work for home to continue debugging - I thought I'd put in some DUC karma in hopes of getting some help from the greater gurus by helping out others...

I definitely think its strange if the actual audio is being modified. My understanding is that the adjust fades option should just alter the fade boundries in an attempt to reduce the fade's size so that there is sufficient underlying audio. Usually in my experience, I get this error when there is no underlying audio, so the adjust bounds just doesn't work. I've never seen it actually modify the audio files though.

Could it be that the underlying audio was originally trimmed to be shorter. If its just changing the trim point I guess that could make some sense...

Finding the right area for the crossfade is a matter of how much underlying overlapped audio is present. If one of the files ends or begins exactly at the transisition point of the regions, no area will let the fade occur because there isn't overlapping audio to xfade.

If you give me more specifics about what your trying to edit, there are various tricks to cleaning up an edit when you don't have overlapping regions, just depends on what your trying to do...

good luck!

jt
Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 AM

Don't know if this will matter but....do you have the trimmer tool set to trim or to TC[E? If so, try again with it set to the standard trimmer tool.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 AM

as mentioned, this occurs when there is insufficient audio on one side of the edit point to create a fade of the length you desire.

adjust bounds will alter the edit point to accomodate a fade so if this doesn't work (drums for example need to be faded pre-splice) you will need to create a shorter fade.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
as mentioned, this occurs when there is insufficient audio on one side of the edit point to create a fade of the length you desire.

adjust bounds will alter the edit point to accomodate a fade so if this doesn't work (drums for example need to be faded pre-splice) you will need to create a shorter fade.

Thanks all.

Maybe a dumb question, but I do not feel educated enough to understand this after reading the reference manual:

If I have punched in a bass note or two and I want to insert a fade, how is this best done? I am worried about having the fade superimposed onto critical wave info.

Do you always add fades, or only if you hear a 'pop' or somesuch?

cheers,
dave
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 PM

I think PT has an option to automatically perform fades on punching. You can preset the length.
IMO 2-5 ms work well for general purpose smoothing.

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring