Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 AM

Default Could this be a magic RAM bullet for PTLE ?

Hi all

Im sure some of us have great powerful pc's running PT , but we ALL suffer from the RAM issue,whether HD or LE .
As of now, the 3 (or 4) gig limit is really holding PT back in my view.
In these days of Virtual instruments, its nowhere NEAR enough for serious use.

We have an interesting option on the table.. windows server 2008 32 bit , which is available to try now, and will use (in the enterprise version) 64 GIGS of ram...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...are-specs.aspx

(its not cheap to buy but there is a FREE evaluation which can be extended to 240 days)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...us/try-it.aspx

The o/s behaves exactly like vista, and IS vista to all intents and purposes , but with that one big difference.Im running it on another partition to check it out, and its a FAST vista!...
I cant try PT though as I use HD3 TDM (not vista compatible!)

I would love to see if any PTLE boys can try this and see if the extra ram is actually USED by Protools,given that LE is usable on Vista whereas TDM is not... I have 8 gigs sitting here I cant use in an HP XW8400- its VERY frustrating :_)

In my view either digi should make protools HD
1) Vista compatible or
2) 64 bit OS compatible...

Surely one of these is not beyond them?

thoughts from anyone brave enough to try this and report back?

Bill P
Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Could this be a magic RAM bullet for PTLE ?

i thought we all are vista compatible with 7.4???? in the le realm it is being avoided though due to a MASSIVE performance hit compared to xp. we can acces more ram with vista, but the difference in performance between the 2 most are staying with xp.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Guitardom

Im afraid not.. HD /TDM is still stuck without Vista..
It may well be worth trying server 2008 for an experiment on LE ..It runs like a FAST vista, all that ram is available for virtual instruments.and it has so far run every program I have thrown at it. The one I CAN't try is Protools, as I use HD3..
Its free to try so Im sure someone here will be brave enough

Cheers

Bill P
Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
i thought we all are vista compatible with 7.4???? in the le realm it is being avoided though due to a MASSIVE performance hit compared to xp. we can acces more ram with vista, but the difference in performance between the 2 most are staying with xp.

Why are you saying Vista took the massive performance hit? I have a Vista laptop which out-performs my control room set-up which runs XP. (both are AMD's) 7.4 may have taken a hit with EA but I don't think Windows OS is to blame. I think you guys are just making excuses not to jump in!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
(its not cheap to buy but there is a FREE evaluation which can be extended to 240 days)

Did a quick check...can't buy less than 5 licences and the academic pricing is $2300.00 for more than 5. ($3999 for the basic package of 25 licenses.) The list of currently compatible app's only includes microsoft titles and the list of future app's also only lists microsoft titles.
Maybe dig a little deeper, but I think we're just dreamin' here
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 AM

As far as Server 2008 32 bit goes, rumor has it that one of LE's mad scientist types had LE running on Windows Home Server or Server 2003 (I forget which) a while back. I'm not sure of the details but can inquire. I have a WHS box running WHS RC2 that I'm using to test some WHS hardware. I can attempt to install LE and see how it goes ( in about a week).

WHS is interesting in that its basically a overlay on Small Business Server 2003 but only costs 189.00 compared to the 599.00 or so they want for SBS 2003.

I still have hopes of a eventual 64 bit XP Pro or Vista release but I'm not holding my breath....

At the very minimum Digi could patch PT and make it 3Gb aware, That would help both HD and LE users. We should start a feature request thread in both the HD and LE forums. If we could keep the posts limited to the 3GB aware issue we might get somewhere fairly fast. 3 GB is definite doable and picks up about a extra useable 1 GB under XP. Digi might whine and moan about testing and qualification but could offer it as a unsupported option.

/3Gb would help right now.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM

Sunburst

as far as I was aware PTHD IS 3 gig aware already ?
Im running it with the switch and its using the extra ram as far as I can see.
Even if it wasnt 3 gig aware , its easy to mod the exe file (someone here gave details a while back) but as I say Im pretty sure it already is

Cheers

Bill P
Old 03-13-2008, 02:53 PM

vsukpadman what machine build are you using? i tried that 3 gig switch with HD on my tyan quad,had serious stability problems.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Why are you saying Vista took the massive performance hit? I have a Vista laptop which out-performs my control room set-up which runs XP. (both are AMD's) 7.4 may have taken a hit with EA but I don't think Windows OS is to blame. I think you guys are just making excuses not to jump in!

hey rg, there was a BUNCH of threads through here when vista first came out with people doing comparisons between the 2. xp outperformed vista quite a bit on comparable machines, how different is your laptop from you control room machine?? cpu models, x2, opteron, etc, processor speeds, ram?? that would probably be the deciding factor. sorry i cant direct you to any threads, but give it a search.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 AM

x9 Blade

Im using an "approved" PC the HP XW8400 .
As for stability , its pretty good, but I do find when protools crashes it takes the whole O/S with it! (step up Native instruments for this a lot

But this switch is vital for me...2 gigs is just nowhere NEAR enough for professsional use.
Im heavy on virtual instruments , hence my desire for more RAM urgently..

Btw nobody suggest I buy a mac LOLOL - had one of those , and bought the Xw8400 for the price of the Digidesign PCI "crossgrade" necessary to move up from my G4 to a G5 :_)

cheers

Bill P