How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2023, 08:49 AM

Default Re: UVI Falcon 3.0 Is Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691;2684379Venus Theory has a YouTube video where he talks about what's new in Falcon 3 and specifically he talks about the MIDI out feature using an external hardware synth. I think it's in this video: [URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugGaU7JOcU[/URL]

Jack - Actually, it is this video from Cameron (Venus Theory) that shows this. There's a MIDI feature you can place after any script. It's right around 2:15 or so on the video.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for the explanation as I've never noticed that nor used it.

As to your last paragraph did you insert the MIDI Out from the right hand panel where you click on the second tab from the right that has the tied notes putting that after a processor in the event tab? Venus Theory has a YouTube video where he talks about what's new in Falcon 3 and specifically he talks about the MIDI out feature using an external hardware synth. I think it's in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugGaU7JOcU

Jack - Well, this is frustrating. So I added the MIDI out after a sequencer script, just as shown in the video. I used the simple step sequencer. I set up a 2nd VI on a separate instrument track (Dune 3 in this case, which I use often), set the input for Falcon 3, record armed...AND.....NADA!!! No matter how I configure I get no signal from Falcon. I do NOT understand why. The same setup works fine if I use any other MIDI out player (ie Reason, or DS Thorn). So its not PT that's the issue. Its something with Falcon itself.

Let me know if you get it to work and how you did it. I even tried sending the MIDI out from Falcon to a MIDI track and no signal at all. Its like Falcon isn't sending anything. I can't see any control or switch that I need to select to turn it on, as it were. It should work. But it doesn't.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks, Jack. I just downloaded Falcon 3 last night, so just getting started with all the new goodies. I will definitely look at Venus's vid. He has some good videos out there.

As for the MIDI Instrument track feature, its easy to overlook. I discovered a few years back when I wanted to get Xfer Records Cthulu player working. The video showed how to set that up in PT and that's when I discovered that place for MIDI input. That opened up a whole new realm of possibilities!

If you have Reason, try using that feature with some of the players. You can do some pretty cool stuff. I often use the Beat Map player to create funky rhythms using some other Drum VI.

Let me know if this works for you, by the way!
I have Reason but only 8.3. Until they get their stuff straightened out and allow 3rd party plugins in the Rack when used in a daw I ain't biting on it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Jack - Well, this is frustrating. So I added the MIDI out after a sequencer script, just as shown in the video. I used the simple step sequencer. I set up a 2nd VI on a separate instrument track (Dune 3 in this case, which I use often), set the input for Falcon 3, record armed...AND.....NADA!!! No matter how I configure I get no signal from Falcon. I do NOT understand why. The same setup works fine if I use any other MIDI out player (ie Reason, or DS Thorn). So its not PT that's the issue. Its something with Falcon itself.

Let me know if you get it to work and how you did it. I even tried sending the MIDI out from Falcon to a MIDI track and no signal at all. Its like Falcon isn't sending anything. I can't see any control or switch that I need to select to turn it on, as it were. It should work. But it doesn't.
Damn that's frustrating. Give me a couple of days to sort this out as got some stuff going on at home that's got my attention at this point in time. I have heard from some people that use Digital Performer that are having heartburn with this MIDI business - going to give it a shot there as DP is my secondary daw. Then again DP uses either AU or vst so who knows.

UVI's documentation rivals that of Yamaha's in total gobblydegook. Been there and suffered with that. That's why my Motif went to the local electronics recycle in July.

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Damn that's frustrating. Give me a couple of days to sort this out as got some stuff going on at home that's got my attention at this point in time. I have heard from some people that use Digital Performer that are having heartburn with this MIDI business - going to give it a shot there as DP is my secondary daw. Then again DP uses either AU or vst so who knows.

UVI's documentation rivals that of Yamaha's in total gobblydegook. Been there and suffered with that. That's why my Motif went to the local electronics recycle in July.
Jack - Let me know what you find out. I sent a message to UVI help desk about it. In the past, they've been pretty responsive.

I still use my Motif SX8 every day in my studio...its my main MIDI controller.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:

UPDATE: Well, over the past couple of days I've tried every way I can think of to get the MIDI out to work. First of all, the ONLY time I have the MIDI out function available to insert as an event is in standalone mode. The MIDI OUT feature does NOT appear on the menu with Falcon installed on a PT instrument track.

In standalone, I put the MIDI Out after the sequencer, just like both the Venus Theory video showed, and the manual says to do. I set the MIDI out of Falcon to the correct MIDI output, verified the MIDI chain going to an external keyboard...NADA. Tried to route from standalone via MIDI to a VI on an instrument track in PT...NADA.

I sent a message with all this info to UVI to ask for help in resolving. So far, no word. I have seen videos on YouTube where the feature is working on other's systems.

Why the MIDI Out feature isn't even available with Falcon installed on an instrument track makes ZERO sense to me.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: Well, over the past couple of days I've tried every way I can think of to get the MIDI out to work. First of all, the ONLY time I have the MIDI out function available to insert as an event is in standalone mode. The MIDI OUT feature does NOT appear on the menu with Falcon installed on a PT instrument track.

In standalone, I put the MIDI Out after the sequencer, just like both the Venus Theory video showed, and the manual says to do. I set the MIDI out of Falcon to the correct MIDI output, verified the MIDI chain going to an external keyboard...NADA. Tried to route from standalone via MIDI to a VI on an instrument track in PT...NADA.

I sent a message with all this info to UVI to ask for help in resolving. So far, no word. I have seen videos on YouTube where the feature is working on other's systems.

Why the MIDI Out feature isn't even available with Falcon installed on an instrument track makes ZERO sense to me.
Let me get this straight: are you saying that with Falcon 3 on a PT instrument track you don't have the MIDI plugin in F3 available to you to put in it's proper place in Falcon? Not seen that here.

I know you would know this but I have to ask about your second paragraph: are you sending to the right channel? Try the 'all' setting for the MIDI function in F3.

I've had a hell of a couple of days around here so music has taken a backseat. Some days I don't know which way is up. And this wacky warm weather isn't helping any. My sinuses are going crazy.

QAPLA!
Old 10-27-2023, 05:59 AM

Finally got to spend some time with music.

I am drawing a complete blank on this MIDI out business. I insert the module in Falcon after a sequencer and nothing goes to my Korg Nautilus. Same thing in PT. Have all the MIDI channel numbers right (I think). And so far haven't really found anything on YouTube that helps. Same results as you. This is a neat feature if it can be made to work.

You're on a Windows machine right?

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2023, 05:16 AM

Damn:
Just typed a nice response with some great info and when I went to post I got a screen saying I don't have permission to post. Let's try this again as Daffy Duck would say.

Over on the VI-Control thread related to Falcon 3 launch here:
https://vi-control.net/community/thr...144600/page-12
There are people having MIDI out running okay in Studio One and Cubase and I saw a YouTube video where that person was using Cubase. They're vst 3 right?

And in the Gearspace thread on F3 there's a fellow in post 148 of this thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...l#post16743274
that mentions seeing a post from a UVI developer mentioning they found a bug in the MIDI out of F3. So apparently it's not just us.

I started a support ticket with UVI on this.

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Damn:
Just typed a nice response with some great info and when I went to post I got a screen saying I don't have permission to post. Let's try this again as Daffy Duck would say.

Over on the VI-Control thread related to Falcon 3 launch here:
https://vi-control.net/community/thr...144600/page-12
There are people having MIDI out running okay in Studio One and Cubase and I saw a YouTube video where that person was using Cubase. They're vst 3 right?

And in the Gearspace thread on F3 there's a fellow in post 148 of this thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...l#post16743274
that mentions seeing a post from a UVI developer mentioning they found a bug in the MIDI out of F3. So apparently it's not just us.

I started a support ticket with UVI on this.

You're going to LOVE this, Jack. So, I can't get MIDI out to work at all with Falcon in Standalone mode. I know I have the MIDI set up correctly because I CAN get MIDI out to work with Reason in standalone mode using the exact same MIDI routing. So its F3, not me! (And, yes, I'm on Windows as well).

I also already told you that the MIDI out module does NOT appear as an option with F3 in AAX mode on a PT instrument track. So, I got the idea to host F3 as a VST on an instrument track using Blue Cat's Patchwork as the host. That worked! I had the MIDI out module available AND, by setting the MIDI out for BC Patchwork correctly, I can route the MIDI to play an external synth. BUT, I can NOT get ANY MIDI signal from F3 to play any VI hosted in PT. It's weird!! Clearly the MIDI out is working (at least in VST mode hosted in BCPW), but only to external synth. And I KNOW I have the MIDI routing correct because I can have a Reason player hosted in the rack in PT playing another VI in PT using the exact same MIDI route. For some reason, F3 will not talk to the internal MIDI for PT to recognize.