Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Relinking files

Hello-
I am moving a session that was created on a tdm system, mac osx, to my pc with mbox at home.
Pro Tools opens up the session, but cannot find the files. When I choose automatically find and relink, Pro Tools cannot find the files. So I go to manually find, and even when I find the exact folder that they are in, Pro Tools will not relink.
This is not a compatibility issue, because I used the enforce compatiblity option when saving in Mac, and my computer recognizes the files as aiff.
I searched this forum for this particular problem, so I am pretty sure this post is not redundant.
I also asked some friends who are used to using PT on PC.
I am not sure what to do now.
Perhaps I am just not used to the workflow with Pro Tools on a PC, vs Pro Tools on a mac.
Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Relinking files

Most of the time when I have problems relinking files it's because windows puts file extensions on the end of files. If you try searching with just the duration and unique file ID it usually fixes the problem. Also, sometimes the file extension makes the name of the file longer than 32 characters and PT can't use files with names that long. I've heard of people using the workspace browser to move or copy the long named files. This will shorten the name with out changing the Unique ID. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 PM

Which version of Pro Tools are you running? Do the AIFF files have the .aif extension?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM

I am using version 6.4, and the files are designated as aif.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:58 AM

"... So I go to manually find, and even when I find the exact folder that they are in, Pro Tools will not relink...."

In case this relink stuff is new to you: My first experience with this new system of file locating (recently upgraded from 5.3 to 6.7) was 2 days ago. To me, it was confusing compared to the old version, which automatically started looking in the current folder for the missing files. I not only had to point to the folder that had the actual files I needed, but I also had to SELECT (ctrl-clik or shift-click) all the filenames listed as missing in the 'missing files' section. I got it to work only after looking at the Digiling manual (online) and figuring it out. Maybe this is your cause for confusion, also. If you know about all this already, I apologize for the clutter.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:53 AM

Save the session using WAV files.. I believe there may be a bug with AIFF under certain conditions. Can you email me a small AIFF file which won't relink?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Thank you Steve, Rail and Brandon.
Brandon, your suggestion works, but then Pro Tools shuts down immediately after linking.
Rail, I cannot at this time send you an aiff. I will have to work out the kinks on the mac first.
Steve, your post was helpful, although I figured that out earlier after I saw the "link file" button would not highlight.
One of my friends came across this problem on a mac, and I was there when it happened. I walked him through the steps that I was taking to relink, and it worked for him on the mac.