Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2023, 11:13 PM

Default Re: App launching PT Native vs. PT Rosetta?

That’s exactly what I’m talking about and was simply reassuring you that you’ll be ok installing two version.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Yes, they could make it easier to switch versions right within 23.3.
Apple way, 'nuff said.

It is not so hard to first double-click the icon and then click on a checkbox. Takes 2-3 seconds so it is easy in my book. Irritating, yes, but the blame is on plugin vendors who have not yet released ARM code.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdy gurdy View Post
Apple way, 'nuff said.

It is not so hard to first double-click the icon and then click on a checkbox. Takes 2-3 seconds so it is easy in my book. Irritating, yes, but the blame is on plugin vendors who have not yet released ARM code.
Strange but this is not what I posted last night. Another ghost in the machine. I'll see if this one sticks. Have a good one.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdy gurdy View Post
It is not so hard to first double-click the icon and then click on a checkbox. Takes 2-3 seconds so it is easy in my book.
I'm not sure I follow. If you double-click the icon it opens the app, it doesn't open the Get Info window.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure I follow. If you double-click the icon it opens the app, it doesn't open the Get Info window.
The general gist of what I really wrote was.. I have a dual install of both PT 2023.3 to run silicon native and PT 2022.9 to run under PT Rosetta on M1 Mac. I was able to rename one install and have them both occupy and ready to go on the dock so I can quickly access what I want to. I hover over the icon in the dock and launch the version I want for plugins that are not yet ported over (just waiting for a couple plug-in vendors then I’m all PT silicon native). Maybe not ideal for some people but works for me. Otherwise, good question on how it could all be done easier just all in 2023.3 (without going through a few mouse clicks). Strange, I wasn’t that drunk last night and I’m a writing nerd (made it through college that way because I was a B student at music;-) unless the internet gods didn’t like what I wrote? Who knows but again have a good one!

Len
Old 04-04-2023, 03:53 PM

Sure sure, I followed your initial mention of this method. It might do the trick.

FYI this forum is seeing a lot of odd activity these past couple weeks so maybe it wasn't you after all. :)

Though a lot of that weirdness is coming from brand new members with low post counts and rudimentary, AI-like questions/comments. Probably AI-like because they *are* AI.

I'm just waiting for the day where all that AI establishes its own communication network and then floods ours, making it unusable. With Google, YouTube and other major sites becoming slow and sloppy this year, maybe it's already begun.

I've taken my own topic way off course. Or was it AI...?
Old 04-04-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Why not just duplicate the app instead of installing?

I actually did this, and the duplicated PT won't open, complaining that the file has been damaged. I tried it several times, always with the same result. The original PT launches & works just fine.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 04-04-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
I actually did this, and the duplicated PT won't open, complaining that the file has been damaged. I tried it several times, always with the same result. The original PT launches & works just fine.
Did you repair this as mentioned in the thread?
Old 04-04-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
It's a safety thing in macOS. The OS sees that it's a copied app, not installed properly, and throws the error. It can be bypassed with right-click-open without any worry.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:58 PM

So in the Applications folder, the "Pro Tools" icon is actually a package of many files, not a single app. Right-clicking allows you to view the contents of the package. This isn't new nor unknown.

But I'm wondering... which file within that container is the actual launcher? We can click the main Pro Tools icon and PT will open, but which specific file is it actually triggering?