Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Artist Control panner questions

First, is there a way to show both channels on a stereo track on the panner? I swear that I saw a demo at AES once showing TWO pan circles, one for each side, even if you couldn't multi-touch pan them.

If not, how can you control the 'right' side of a stereo track? I can only figure out how to pan the left side. Fine if the channels are linked, but if not, kinda screwed.

Third, why on EARTH doesn't the panner 'reach' into the corners. Using the touch screen it's impossible to actually pan fully into either the left or right channels. Ridiculous.

Why doesn't Avid just adopt the ProTools pan window and map it right to the artist? I doubt anyone there is even working on this thing anymore. But if so, please just adopt the PT panner, and have it map exactly as it looks on PT, to the Artist Control touch screen.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 PM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Re: Artist Control panner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
If not, how can you control the 'right' side of a stereo track? I can only figure out how to pan the left side. Fine if the channels are linked, but if not, kinda screwed.
Hi Tim,

You use the little "page"buttons to make the knobs go to the right pan pot.
You'll see them both light up when in the "right pan" and only the right one lit when on the left pan (normal mode).

It really is good to spend an evening just playing around with these units, a demo session,and the manual.

I've learned LOADS of quick ways to do stuff.

Like mapping all the aux sends to the faders, on every channel, and pretty much anything else onto the knobs or the faders.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
First, is there a way to show both channels on a stereo track on the panner? I swear that I saw a demo at AES once showing TWO pan circles, one for each side, even if you couldn't multi-touch pan them.

Third, why on EARTH doesn't the panner 'reach' into the corners. Using the touch screen it's impossible to actually pan fully into either the left or right channels. Ridiculous.

Why doesn't Avid just adopt the ProTools pan window and map it right to the artist? I doubt anyone there is even working on this thing anymore. But if so, please just adopt the PT panner, and have it map exactly as it looks on PT, to the Artist Control touch screen.
Hi Tim,

at the moment the stereo panner is quite ineffective. I find using the mouse is much faster or just as fast since you have to pan both legs in two passes on the Control plus the page-arounds. On the artist control you can not pan both legs of a stereo track at the same time (unless you use the linking buttons in the PT window before with the mouse). Spreading L and R control across two pages wasn't very smart.

I wish we could at least have the L/R front/rear linking options on the control but we don't currently. So no matter what you do at some point you WILL have to use the mouse to achieve certain things, so personally I end up using the mouse in the first place.
Yes you can flip pan controls to faders on the mix but by the time you pressed all the buttons to get to the desired parameter you could have done it with the mouse by then.
Custom mapping is only supported on the command 8 and other controllers from the Digi-era so nothing secret to discover in the manual there.
The touch screen panner is more a cosmetic thing. When you see it you go "wow, finally a surround panner" but after using it twice it's more a "ah well, I guess I won't use that page".

But the biggest gripe by far is the fact that the pan window doesn't follow the selected tracks.

Lots of room for improvement there for the new year.

Frank.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Frank, yes I agree 100%. It's silly too, since the Control is just a big touch screen, they 'could' make a very usable panner on it. I hope someday they do. For now I'm using the mouse too.

Pan Window follows track selection is something that should have been there 10 versions ago. It's such a tiny fix too, it's ridiculous that they haven't implemented it.