Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Default PT cross platform..?? how

hi, i have a director coming on monday.., who cares about new years when theres a movie in the wind..,

he uses PC with Avid editing system (composer I assume), works and teaches at one of the higher tertiary educational institutions, in the digital/media dept. again i guess here we have an example of audio being mysterious and somehow best left to the more esoteric minded (Im being sarcastic.) because this particular institution is regarded as the best digital/media institution (education) in Adelaide but there is NO 'how do we do the audio??' only great animation, and great cameras, ect. (but for me its a bit of a break)

they have just finished this years movie and he has asked me to do the post sound.., a professional post audio house would probably cost more than the movie.., be that as it may??

he is coming here Monday and bringing all media.., he mentioned something on the phone about a PT project.., it slipping straight out of Avid into PT.., works a charm he says.., trouble is i dont know what format, the files will be in.., im too broke, too new in the industry to afford authorization for OMF on my I Loc never exported to PT from Avid (my uni used FCP)

he says, doesn't matter..., no OMF. Fine I say.., but my next problem is PT is on a PC where he works and is on a Mac at my place (I Mac, 24 inch, universal.., 2.16 ghz, 2 gig Ram.., and more than enough HDD.

what problems can i expect bringing either a PT project over from PC to Mac.., or an Avid project from PC to Mac.

I have a PC here but dont know if im allowed to put PT on both computers (maybe authorization is only for one computer??) Id rather not have PT on the PC (personal reasons, dont like un-necessary clutter) ) as it is already on the mac, but if thats the way the cookie crumbles??

M:)

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: PT cross platform..?? how

a) If you're both running 7.3 or later, then don't worry about it - make sure the files are WAV and you can move sessions between platforms without a care.

b) Yes, you can install on both platforms.

c) I recommend using MacDrive from www.mediafour.com to use HFS+ drives on XP.. even though 7.3 (and later) includes the option to install HFS+ support.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: PT cross platform..?? how

many many thanks. i actually have a you bueat powerful PC here, so i meant actually installing PT7.3. on to another computer.., gone are the days when i loaded apps for the sake of having them on my computers.., need i say.., to 'look' good.., and 'ill get around to using them one day (but never do.)

so, if i can already use a PC protools project on my I mac Protools I will definately be leaving it as simple as possible.., just do the work.., forget the computers.

many thanks., he is coming tomorrow and i didnt want any suprises with a PT project from a PC.

im wondering, if it is still in Avid format, what ever that is, will i be able to import some native format from that, like an OMF but native to digidesighn?? if there is such a thing.., well i suppose i will find out.

thanks again for the WAV tip plus the other great info (plus your time )

M:)

PS.., 1969?? (your registration) good god, i didnt know there was a protools in 1969.., i didnt thnk we even had computers then.., i mean i brought my first work station in 1987 (I thnk) and that was an ATARI 1040, with a midi port??? using stienburg pro 24!!

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2