Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2023, 06:58 AM

Default Re: No sound, default outs 1-2 greyed out or gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
You didn't do what I've done (a couple times) and forgot to power up the monitors or headphone amp, didja?
Oh Bob, many times…just not this one!
internal 4T SSD
Pro Tools 2023.9
MBox Studio
Old 12-08-2023, 07:44 AM

Well first I am not familiar with MBox Studio
So with that disclosed I am confused by a couple of things .

First are you sure you have up to date Drivers for the MBox ?

So to clarify,, you are trying to listen back through either HeadPhones plugged into the HP jack on the MBox or Speakers plugged into the Monitor outs on the M Box correct ? And you are not getting any sound coming through (even though the Master Fader is showing signal) correct ?

#1 I am confused why your I/O channel number window is saying M Box Studio with "Core Audio" below it .
My I/O for my Avid Carbon system just says ( A-Pro Tools Carbon) and nothing about "Core Audio" ??

#2 I am also confused why in your I/O the Output and Bus windows say =
M Box Studio " Internal 1-2 ------ Mine just has Out 1-2 with nothing about Carbon and no "Internal"

Could it be the M Box set up as an Aggregate Device ??

So the first thing I would do is check your PlayBack Engine setting (If it only says M Box Studio and nothing else like Aggregate or Internal ... Then the next thing I would do is Trash Your Pro Tools Preferences

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-10-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Well first I am not familiar with MBox Studio
So with that disclosed I am confused by a couple of things .

First are you sure you have up to date Drivers for the MBox ?
I am not sure. I don't see any call to update in Avid link. I will have to dig in on the website, I guess..

Quote:
So to clarify,, you are trying to listen back through either HeadPhones plugged into the HP jack on the MBox or Speakers plugged into the Monitor outs on the M Box correct ? And you are not getting any sound coming through (even though the Master Fader is showing signal) correct ?
Correct. I checked that sound in/out is running through MBox, i.e. I can listen to music, YouTube vids etc through headphones and monitors, both through MBox.

Quote:
#1 I am confused why your I/O channel number window is saying M Box Studio with "Core Audio" below it .
My I/O for my Avid Carbon system just says ( A-Pro Tools Carbon) and nothing about "Core Audio" ??

#2 I am also confused why in your I/O the Output and Bus windows say =
M Box Studio " Internal 1-2 ------ Mine just has Out 1-2 with nothing about Carbon and no "Internal"

Could it be the M Box set up as an Aggregate Device ??

So the first thing I would do is check your PlayBack Engine setting (If it only says M Box Studio and nothing else like Aggregate or Internal ... Then the next thing I would do is Trash Your Pro Tools Preferences
Yes, I too am confused by that. I have trashed PT Prefs, hit 'default' I/O a few times. The MBox shows in both hardware and playback, and I have recorded tracks. I have reset any odd settings found so far, and am aware it may be something really basic.....just none that I have remembered or tried so far.

I may just uninstall/reinstall, but have hesitated so far as I'd like to know where I went wrong. I have been using Pro Tools since 7, but less so in recent years. PT has gotten more complex as my needs have gotten simpler (no more bands or performing for moi...).

I very much appreciate your time in replying and making suggestions! Thanks.
internal 4T SSD
Pro Tools 2023.9
MBox Studio
Old 12-12-2023, 09:43 AM

Since you mention it's been years, I thought I might have seen something like this in the back of my brain....

Yep! It looks like the MBox and MBox Studio are not supported after Monterey or on Silicon:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420450

That means, you might have to downgrade your MBP, but since it's nice and newer, you probably want to upgrade your audio interface!!

As you say you aren't working on things too complex; you might get away with something small and serviceable with a few ins and outs.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 12-12-2023 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-12-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Since you mention it's been years, I thought I might have seen something like this in the back of my brain....

Yep! It looks like the MBox and MBox Studio are not supported after Monterey or on Silicon:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420450

That means, you might have to downgrade your MBP, but since it's nice and newer, you probably want to upgrade your audio interface!!

As you say you aren't working on things too complex; you might get away with something small and serviceable with a few ins and outs.
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have a current model MBox Studio, which shipped with a years worth of PT Studio. So, they get along with each other and with Apple silicon, and I have recorded successfully recently. Just that new hearing the playback thing, dang it! Must be a corrupt something to do with in/outs, which look odd, as others have noted.

MBox Studio is a pretty nifty unit which lured me away from my previous also-current-but-with-fewer-intputs-bells-whistles etc.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

Short of paying for an expert to figure where I gone wrong…. I will probably delete/reinstall Pro Tools. Big sigh! But doable.
internal 4T SSD
Pro Tools 2023.9
MBox Studio
Old 12-12-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBseva View Post
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have a current model MBox Studio, which shipped with a years worth of PT Studio. So, they get along with each other and with Apple silicon, and I have recorded successfully recently. Just that new hearing the playback thing, dang it! Must be a corrupt something to do with in/outs, which look odd, as others have noted.

MBox Studio is a pretty nifty unit which lured me away from my previous also-current-but-with-fewer-intputs-bells-whistles etc.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

Short of paying for an expert to figure where I gone wrong…. I will probably delete/reinstall Pro Tools. Big sigh! But doable.
Ah, you are right...

I know some others have tried directing:

Have you done this?

Select ALL Inputs, Outputs, and Buses on the I/O, one page at a time, hitting "Delete", and then hit "Default".

I agree with someone that your output path in the mixer says "Out 1-2" but that doesn't look mapped correctly maybe.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-13-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Ah, you are right...

I know some others have tried directing:

Have you done this?

Select ALL Inputs, Outputs, and Buses on the I/O, one page at a time, hitting "Delete", and then hit "Default".

I agree with someone that your output path in the mixer says "Out 1-2" but that doesn't look mapped correctly maybe.
Hi NedNed et al...

First, Ned, yes, I did that. Turns out that the pics I posted were normal. Outs 1-2 in PT map to MBox Internal 1-2.

But.............drumroll, please............problem solved.

I uninstalled everything connected to PT (ok, not basic plugins) and installed the new 2023.12. Ta daaaahhhh... sound is back! I/Os totally default, good ol' stereo outs 1-2 singing through MBox Studio Internal Outs 1-2 and thence to monitors and headphones.... as if it were a month ago! Good times are back.

I'll be downgrading to Artist in the New Year, as long as they've got it set for Sonoma OS. (Still on Ventura, of course...)

Thank you all for your kind assistance and suggestions!

Best regards, Mary Tulin
internal 4T SSD
Pro Tools 2023.9
MBox Studio