Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: PT on external sync / SPDIF straining on system

Quote:
Originally posted by Esteban WB:
When running my BR532 drum into 001 through the optical input, I had several crashes (ugly clicking sound that wouldn't stop until I manually shut down the computer). I quit using the op-in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes that is the same thing I heard.
A fast clicking sound or motor boat type sound.
What are the settings in your hardware setup now?
Do you have the optical format set to ADAT or S/DIF?
Also do you have S/PDIF selected?
Old 04-05-2003, 07:35 PM

I've encountered a similar problem that I attributed to a bug in my system. In fact I had considering asking you all if you encountered the same problem. Here's what I've encountered:

With S/PDIF monitoring turned ON, I had frequent crashes and the loud noise that you all are referring to. Twice, I had to do an XP restore. Once I had to do a complete reinstall of WinXP because the registry go corrupted and it wouldn't go to backup.

Once I turned S/PDIF monitoring off, I rarely crash However, when I do it usually has to do with clocking source. Meaning that my default is set to S/PDIF and somehow get inadvertently set to INTERNAL. When I switch it back, it's only a matter of time before I encounter a big crash where powering off is the only solution and the big noise happens.

I've become pretty adept at hitting my speaker switch to so that doesn't do any damage.

I have all unnecessary drivers turned off. I'm clocking to a LUCID 9624. It'd be nice to go back to S/PDIF mirroring, however, I've heard that PT 6 doesn't have it any more.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:27 AM

Swaphappy, it was about a month ago when I was having trouble with the op-in and as I said, I quit using it. I returned my settings to the default and really don't remember exact settings, but I tried several different things with clocking, mirroring, and other settings. Sorry I can't be of more help; I'm fairly new to Digi.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Hey Digi,

A bounce on the question, is this something that we will see a bug fix on anytime soon? If not I am going to have to set up another computer with RCA spidf to port some stuff over. I'd just like to know what the time frame is on this.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:10 PM

Hey Digi / Mike,

how about a mystic sign?
You could flash a flashlight or burn a blanket, but uhm ... guess you are working on it.

Ok, ok.

Could you possibly give me a thought on physics instead?

I´m wondering if covering the 001 PCI card with insolated shielding foil out of mucopper could help to block induction and maybe also RF coming from other PC parts.

But I imagine it could end as failed investment, if supposedly at least a magnetic field could only be manipulated when the source area would be covered completely ( which, if so, must be impossible in the referred case ).

Am I unfortunately right?

Would be great to hear what you are saying [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Lalaman
Old 04-09-2003, 01:07 PM

bump
Old 04-09-2003, 09:19 PM

teh clicking noise is happening because your protools samp rate(44.1 48 khz) is different from the device u hooked ur sp/dif to. make sure the samp rates are the same
Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 PM

teh clicking noise is happening because your protools samp rate(44.1 48 khz) is different from the device u hooked ur sp/dif to. make sure the samp rates are the same
Old 04-10-2003, 05:34 AM

No, clocking is set correctly.

Would be nice of Digi to reply though.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:20 AM

Digi people,

cool that you chose not to answer, but I´m slowly getting mad about this damn problem with S/PDIF.
After those crashes caused by the bug in your software there always remain folder instead of the destroyed files on the HDs, always named "FOUND.000". Inside of these folders there are files named "FILE0000.CHK, FILE0001.CHK, FILE0002.CHK", etc.pp..

HERE is what remained from my session file now once again and two weeks full work, as I hadn´t thought of saving it on a another disk for that time.

Please have a look at it and check if you can restore it.

Im am really fed up with this problem, it is destroying all the joy working with my rig. What it means to deal with it you can read above.
There have been always some difficulties like for instance the fact that the overall volume of the 001 varies from boot to boot ( and has respectiviley also effect on the level recorded - being lower then -, BTW, not only on play ), but what comes with the S/PDIF problem is not acceptable.
Absolutely not.

Please take action on this and respond.

Otherwise I will make you kick me off the this board and finally switch to another manufacturer.

It is just too much.

Lalaman

PS: And I think we can expect a fix now. You can´t let people who have to deal with such a severe problem to be waiting another unknown number of months.