Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Upgrade Mbox 3 Mini D/A for cheap

I'm mixing ITB using ProTools and the Mbox 3 Mini. (I don't do any tracking and I have no outboard gear.)

What do you guys think would be the least expensive upgrade to get a better D/A?

The obvious choices would be the Forte or Duet 2. Since I don't like running Apogee's software, I'd opt for the Forte. Do you think it's worth dropping a $400-$500 just to hope that I getting better monitoring via the Forte's D/A?

I'd eventually like to get a UA Apollo, but it may be awhile until I have the funds.

Another options would be to look for a used Mbox 3 Pro. However, it would be overkill having all that I/O.

Opinions?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM

Default Upgrade Mbox 3 Mini D/A for cheap

I am just going to guess the answer here might be don't worry about the interface and worry more about monitors, but let's see....

What type of audio work are you doing? What is the problem/limitation of what you have now? What exact monitors and/or headphones are you driving now? Is it perceived audio quality or number of outputs (what monitors do you want to use with the new system? multi-channel needs or integrated monitor management features you want?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Mbox 3 Mini D/A for cheap

Thanks for the reply!

As mentioned I am doing mixing (pop/rock). I don't need any more I/O channels. What I am interested in is improving the quality of my D/A. I mix on NS10's and a sub going thru a SPL monitor controller.

My weakest link now is the MBox 3 Mini's D/A.

Just wondering if the Forte would be any improvement. I would like any incremental improvement before I invest in an Apollo, etc/
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Any of the units you're talking about are going to be very small improvements if at all. You would be better off spending the money to upgrade your monitors. You might also consider spending some money on acoustic treatment, if you don't have that already. That will also make more difference than going to any of those other interfaces.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM

That's two votes...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your advice and save my money. I have already invested quite a bit in room treatment.

I'm getting amazing mixes on this Mbox Mini ... better than my HD3 mixes. I guess a noticeable upgrade would be to something like UA Apollo + a summing unit.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your advice and save my money. I have already invested quite a bit in room treatment.

I'm getting amazing mixes on this Mbox Mini ... better than my HD3 mixes. I guess a noticeable upgrade would be to something like UA Apollo + a summing unit.
If you want my advice on that,... no the last thing I would add for most home studios would be outboard summing hardware. Room treatment, high-end monitors/multiple sets of monitors, microphones, preamps, instruments (guitars, amps, drum kits, etc. etc.), great headphones, a nice monitor controllers, a nice interface DAC, money spend on good plugins, VIs etc. would all come *well* ahead of an analog summing box and all the associated hassle.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 AM

I think an upgrade to an Apollo will be not as noticeable of an upgrade as you might expect in terms of D/A.

Going to the HD interfaces with an HD Native system, that will be an upgrade.

@Darryl,

It sounds like he mainly does mixing and not tracking, so all the preamps, mics, etc. may not be an issue for him. In his situation, perhaps a summing box might be good, but of course he'll need an interface with enough outputs to make it worthwhile.