Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Audio editor for PT?

Not to mention the 'Re-Group' region command which will prompt you to replace all modified Region Groups (which I learned on the DUC!)

By keepng the Project browser up (Option-o) I can easily see which files have been modified, etc.

powerful stuff.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammelt View Post
You can Replace Regions, yes, and switch the audio file for those 600 spots in 2 clicks
Are you going to share how you do this? Or do I need to open the manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Not to mention the 'Re-Group' region command which will prompt you to replace all modified Region Groups (which I learned on the DUC!)

By keepng the Project browser up (Option-o) I can easily see which files have been modified, etc.

powerful stuff.
Some of this is going over my head which is telling me that I'm probably missing some great features I'm not aware of. Can you explain a little more about the 'Re-Group' region command? Or give us a link to the post?

Also, how can you tell which files have been modified in the Project Browser?

K... I need to spend some more time in the manual
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post

Some of this is going over my head which is telling me that I'm probably missing some great features I'm not aware of. Can you explain a little more about the 'Re-Group' region command? Or give us a link to the post?

Also, how can you tell which files have been modified in the Project Browser?

K... I need to spend some more time in the manual
Open the Project browser (Window -> Project or Option-o). You may have to resize the window once opened. Arrange by modified, and the newest files pop up. Handy when you're editing.

Region re-group. You already have a Region Group (let's say a bunch of backing vocals you have flown on hooks for an RnB tune). You discover - after you've flown them - that there is a weird breath or something in the group. I'll go to the first region group, and ungroup it (Apple-Option-U). Now fix the breath, select the stack of backs, and 'Re-group' (Apple-Option-R). PT will now prompt you to Modify or Copy - if you choose Modify, PT will re-fly your new Region Group - for free!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
A real time saver in some scenarios and there are a couple of ways to do it. It's a little finicky depending on some pref settings (using right click), but the cmmd-shift drag from the region list does the trick.
The manual lays out all the parameters... (hint) SB
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Actually, I think Buckaroo brings up a good point - Sony Vegas and Soundforge work really tightly with each other. One has the ability to open a particular region living on a Vegas track in sound forge - do some processing, and insert the processed file in place of the original region. The benefit of accomplishing offline processing this way is that

1. You can chain multiple effects together which you cannot do in AS.
2. You have a dedicated window to work in when your concentrating on only 1 region (similar to the midi editing window, or the sample editor window of programs like Kontakt.)

This ends up being much faster than using AS one effect at a time. Not to mention the possibility of hard edits to pitch and volume possible within SF. You can accomplish all of this in PT, but it takes much longer.

I would love to see AS turn into a dumbed down version of soundforge where you can open up a "region window" edit, process and automate to your heart's content, then insert that newly created audio file into a track.

just my .0000002
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Exactly dj_grimmace..

This is what I meant, you can edit one region finely at a time and it places it back in the timeline of Vegas or Acid, or even Reaper, Ableton etc now..!

I think if PT and AS did this then that would be a huge leap forward.

And as you point out some of the fx like Pitch etc aren't the same as the soundforge ones (pitch bend) that works directly on the file and you can draw the pitch line for some interesting fx etc for 'hard edits'

I think with this above, PT could retain all its editing and great TDM plug ins, plus a dumb down soundforge style editing, would make PT like a multi-track soundforge, plus keeping its own editing strengths
Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammelt View Post
You can Replace Regions, yes, and switch the audio file for those 600 spots in 2 clicks
Thanks Rammelt, I wasn't too sure of the possible workflows on this one.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Open the Project browser (Window -> Project or Option-o). You may have to resize the window once opened. Arrange by modified, and the newest files pop up. Handy when you're editing.

Region re-group. You already have a Region Group (let's say a bunch of backing vocals you have flown on hooks for an RnB tune). You discover - after you've flown them - that there is a weird breath or something in the group. I'll go to the first region group, and ungroup it (Apple-Option-U). Now fix the breath, select the stack of backs, and 'Re-group' (Apple-Option-R). PT will now prompt you to Modify or Copy - if you choose Modify, PT will re-fly your new Region Group - for free!
Thanks for clarifying this. That is awesome! I can definitely use the Region re-group. I just have to remember the key command. (Apple-Option-R)
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM

If you consolidate the region you're working on, and just open the file in your external editor, it should update the file in PT once you save the file. I don't know if the waveform will redraw until you reopen PT, but it should update the audio (just make sure you don't change the name, or save as a copy. You MUST edit the original file). I dunno if this helps, but it's an option.