Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2023, 03:09 PM

Default How do I edit vocal takes while still recording?

(PROBLEM SOLVED) So I have my template. I'm using a recording track to track vocals and I drag the vocals into a different track once I'm done. I have noticed that people can do this while still recording! How is it actually done? It's like I can't do that unless I stop recording.
A video tutorial would be nice as well.

Last edited by Itz G. Major; 07-25-2023 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Problem Solved.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:28 PM

Default Re: How do I edit vocal takes while still recording?

“Shortcuts are the quickest path to disaster.”
For what one guy’s opinion is worth, it seems more prudent to listen carefully to what you’re recording than to divide your attention and try to edit while it’s being recorded. I can’t think of a single advantage here.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Well I'm focusing more on Recording speed than editing then, my mistake. It's for artists who are more suited for quick punching. Artists like Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Lil Baby, and Chris Brown pay good money for engineers that can record like that because some artists write lyrics and then some don't. And those four don't. I should word the question differently. I meant, how do I drag and drop vocal takes while still recording? Not actually using effects yet.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:39 PM

Default Re: How do I drag and drop vocal takes while still recording?

Recording speed. It's for artists who are more suited for quick punching. Artists like Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Lil Baby, and Chris Brown pay good money for engineers that can record like that because some artists write lyrics and then some don't. And those four don't. But I think by editing I meant, drag and dropping vocal takes while still recording. Not actually using effects yet.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:57 PM

What exactly are you trying to achieve that you can't just do by reviewing the different takes in playlists after you are finished?
Old 07-23-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz G. Major View Post
So I have my template. I'm using a recording track to track vocals and I drag the vocals into a different track once I'm done. I have noticed that people can do this while still recording! How is it actually done? It's like I can't do that unless I stop recording.
You can't.
You can only edit or move files that have finished recording from their recording track.

What you are probably witnessing is playlist comping while tracking a new take. That's a fairly common practice if you work quickly. While you are recording the next take, you are editing previous takes into place. You can "overlap" the current take in that way. For instance if bar 2 in your current record take isn't as good as the previous take, you cut and comp that to replace bar 2 while the track is still recording bars 3, 4, etc. When you go back to record the next take, things are setup.

But you can't edit the actual take in record.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz G. Major View Post
So I have my template. I'm using a recording track to track vocals and I drag the vocals into a different track once I'm done. I have noticed that people can do this while still recording! How is it actually done? It's like I can't do that unless I stop recording.
Hey there. I do this technique all the time for the exact reason that you're describing. The workflow is super fast for artists who are good/accurate with doubling and layering.

However, I'm not yet aware of a way to edit on the audio that's actively being recorded into pro tools. You're saying you've seen someone do this in pro tools? If so, can you post some video of this happening? I've been using this software for a long time and would be all over this feature if I knew it existed. I know that you can do this in Nuendo, and have seen the workflow in action.

You can definitely edit in the session while a recording is taking place, but not on the audio that's being recorded actively as far as I'm aware.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:26 PM

Recording is always realtime, you don't mess with it until the take is done.

Comping is nice. One sec after stopping recording you have another playlist lane waiting for a "okay buddy lets do it again" and after a million of takes you can pick any syllable that suits the performance.

Even if it was technically possible to edit while recording, I do not know many people who are so insane that their two ears and one brain can make a difference between previous and live take.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:25 PM

As mentioned above, not possible in Pro Tools but some other DAWs can do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2023, 06:12 PM

Oh yes, here's the link to the youtube I was watching. https://youtu.be/p4gYFdBG-Ws