Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2002, 01:40 AM

Default HD and sample rate conversion at 96K doesn\'t work

I recently received an hd3 system and am extremely happy with the quality. I must say there is a discernable difference between 44.1 and 96K on the new system. My problem is that I am trying to hook up run a Lexicon PCM 91, Eventide Eclipse, and Quantec Yardstick all through AES/EBU on a 192 interface at 96K. Every unit locks fine at 44.1 or 48, but I have tried everything and can't seem to to get them to lock on a 96K session even though the Sample rate conversion has been enabled on the 192 AES port. Has anyone had any success at locking such a device to a 192 at 96K?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:02 AM

Default Re: HD and sample rate conversion at 96K doesn\'t work

I await the answer too....

Like you, I have a bunch of 44/48 Digital gear I was hopeing to use on mixdown within 96k PTHD sessions via live SRC by the AES i/o interface option

Folks at Digi assured me it would work.. But I belive it only does that 'live SRC' job on inputs to the 8 ch AES CARD OPTION.

Is that what you have? I don't think it will do what you want on the AES i/o that comes standard... Besides you need that 8 ch card to handle all your cool toys at once!

Are you using one of those AES cards?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-27-2002, 06:13 AM

I'd like to know also.

I have outboard verbs also and wonder how to utilize them in the new HD system.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:31 AM

Not a HD user yet so I may not have my facts straight, but here's what I believe to be the case:

1. SRC is possible on HD inputs only; you can't downsample a 96k output to 44.1/48k in order to drive your output gear. You'll need analog sends to these devices.
2. It is possible to generate a 48k word clock signal from HD from a 96k session, I've been told (by our Digi rep, but he's not a tech guy). So you should be able to lock your gear to HD via word clock.
3. If you do so this, you should be able to return a digital signal to HD and utilize real time SRC for these inputs.

This makes sense to me; I have no idea whether or not it actually works.

I'm more interested in whether or not Lexicon, TC, and the rest will offer reasonable (or even any) retrofit options to make their systems run at 96k! Wouldn't that be cool...
Old 02-27-2002, 08:01 AM

You're absolutly right - SRC on inputs only. You need 96k digital gear if you want to work at 96k digitally..

Just connect analog and all will work fine.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:21 AM

Just as an update, I had success with only one of my units, the eventide eclipse. In answer to Jules, I do not have the AES Expansion, I am using the stock AES/EBU ins and out. According to the manual, the stock AES/tdif/and adat are supposed to provide SRC,on the 192, however not on the enclosure
section of the unit.
Anyway, I resolved my problem with the eventide by sending out word clock at 48k from the word clock connector. This only worked with this unit because it has the ability to sync to word clock from the word clock input. However, for the other units, they do not have the wordclock in's and outs so there is no way of doing it. And yet another question to digi:
What am I supposed to do with my Quantec Yardstick which has no analog Ins and Outs at all. It has only AES/EBU. Am I supposed to just set it aside on a 96K session and comprimise a unit which I spent decent money on and which is in my opinion is the most natural reverb unit on the market?
Old 02-28-2002, 12:32 AM

Since the 192 only SRCs on input, you would have to buy some extermnal A to D converter for your Quantec, or an external samle rate converter box for the 192s output.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:02 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 03-01-2002, 12:17 AM

Yes, my eclipse is 96k, but very few algorhythms work at this samplerate, so i prefer to run it at 48k. Anyhow I did manage to get it to run at 48k on a 96k session by clocking out 48k from my 192 worldclock out. If I could only do this with my PCM91 and yardstick, I'd be totally satisfied.
I did try the eclipse at 96k and it began doing some very strange things. It began to jitter and go out of pitch