Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Should Midi-Triggerred Samples match session sample rate?

I am using Kontakt as RTAS. I prefer 88.2k, 24bit sessions, but got the properties of the raw kontakt library's wav files and they are 44.1k, 16bit wav files. But when the midi notes trigger them in the pro tools session, is there some real time dithering and sample conversion going on either in the plug-in or in pro tools that i am not aware of to match up these midi-triggered files to my session? Or does the session have to match the actual parameters of the files for the notes to not speed up or slow down or chop up dynamically? I'm lost.
Zap
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Should Midi-Triggerred Samples match session sample rate

I'm not sure about the dithering thing, but I have wondered about that too. I used to do all my composing work 48k/24 bit. When my system started choking running Ivory, Reason and Absynth, I tried doing 44.1/ 24bit and system performance improved (a little). Most of my sample library is 44.1... I figure that if there is less math going on the system should run smoother. The extended sample rate thing is nice, but if your not using a top notch live room, fancy mics/ pres your really just making it harder for the computer to do it's job. If I'm doing all acoustic instrument project with a big budget I go to nice studio and use 88.2 (which is a good sample rate for a lot of reasons). At my studio (doing mainly work for TV) I use 44.1/ 24bit. That's my two cents.
Aaron