Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2023, 08:20 AM

Default Re: AudioSuite > Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?

It's not clear to me if you have two mono tracks that are essentially stereo with clips separated at the same point on both tracks, or if you have a mixture of L/R clips on two mono tracks, and some clips on only one track or the other. I would think that for this process you'd want to place any clips that are specifically stereo on a single stereo track, and clips that are not stereo on mono tracks. Then I'd think Normalizing would work as expected. You might also find Defaulter from Quiet Arts useful.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-20-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
It's not clear to me if you have two mono tracks that are essentially stereo with clips separated at the same point on both tracks, or if you have a mixture of L/R clips on two mono tracks, and some clips on only one track or the other. I would think that for this process you'd want to place any clips that are specifically stereo on a single stereo track, and clips that are not stereo on mono tracks. Then I'd think Normalizing would work as expected. You might also find Defaulter from Quiet Arts useful.
Okay I'll make it sound super simple.

I have 50 stereo audio Clips, all with audio that is critical to keep the left and right balance.

I want to normalize all those clips in one go, but as I said....

The ultimate aim is to increase the loudness that will vary from clip to clip even though the target loudness normalisation will be the same value for all selected clips. Whilst also keeping the left/right balance of course...
Old 04-20-2023, 08:38 AM

Sounds like Defaulter is the right tool for the job.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-20-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Sounds like Defaulter is the right tool for the job.
Cool thanks good to know, I might check it out - although it adjusts Clip Gain and not direct normalisation? At $89 it is pricey too for something that I need rarely. Maybe I'll find other uses for it.

That aside, should it be possible to have Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode selected at the same time? if not, why?
Old 04-20-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Cool thanks good to know, I might check it out - although it adjusts Clip Gain and not direct normalisation? At $89 it is pricey too for something that I need rarely. Maybe I'll find other uses for it.

That aside, should it be possible to have Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode selected at the same time? if not, why?
I also would like to know why this is not possible. Is there a reason that one can not choose clip by clip and multi-input at the same time?
Old 04-20-2023, 02:00 PM

I think it's just really old behavior that was never improved.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
I also would like to know why this is not possible. Is there a reason that one can not choose clip by clip and multi-input at the same time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I think it's just really old behavior that was never improved.
Thanks guys, it is good to hear that it is not just me that finds this odd.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:40 AM

Here is your solution:

Place your clips on a stereo track, make sure they are seen as stereo files in your bin and not dual mono files (they CAN be dual mono files on your disk but your bin should show as stereo), use the stock normalize plugin, set to individual files and clip by clip (yes it will default to mono). Now above your clip by clip setting is your 'selection reference' which is by default set to 'playlist' (= track). Set this to 'clip list'. The mono/multi option should disappear entirely. Also, the blue 'use in playlist' button will turn off, turn this on again so the processed files are on the track.

Please note: if your files appear on multiple spots in your session, ALL will be replaced with these normalized files. This is different from using the playlist as your 'selection reference' like you normally would which creates new files for your selection. If you don't want this you need to turn off 'use in playlist' and drag your normalized files to a new track.

When you use your track/playlist as a reference like you normally would, Protools will treat each leg of a stereo/multichannel file as an individual files so multi input is not available. For some reason when using the clip list it does not. Whether it is intended or simply never implemented, it is the way it is.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Here is your solution:

Place your clips on a stereo track, make sure they are seen as stereo files in your bin and not dual mono files (they CAN be dual mono files on your disk but your bin should show as stereo), use the stock normalize plugin, set to individual files and clip by clip (yes it will default to mono). Now above your clip by clip setting is your 'selection reference' which is by default set to 'playlist' (= track). Set this to 'clip list'. The mono/multi option should disappear entirely. Also, the blue 'use in playlist' button will turn off, turn this on again so the processed files are on the track.

Please note: if your files appear on multiple spots in your session, ALL will be replaced with these normalized files. This is different from using the playlist as your 'selection reference' like you normally would which creates new files for your selection. If you don't want this you need to turn off 'use in playlist' and drag your normalized files to a new track.

When you use your track/playlist as a reference like you normally would, Protools will treat each leg of a stereo/multichannel file as an individual files so multi input is not available. For some reason when using the clip list it does not. Whether it is intended or simply never implemented, it is the way it is.
Awesome that works, thank you. Especially thanks for the heads up on ALL files being replaced.

It would be cool if you could combine C by C and Multi Mode, but I am okay working with this method.