Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Logic 9.1 just went 64 Bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiller View Post
Damn guys why is this turning into a protools vs logic thing. Buyers remorse much? I have both and both are great k, moving on :)

I've been running logic 64 putting it through real world use all day. well the biggest issue i have had is "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly while using :insert plug name" comes up and crashes logic on many occasions. I haven't really gone over 3.85 gigs or so and my latency is the same as well as my sample rate pretty much. A few Plugs won't open and a few like the moog plugins won't open and ask for the cd library so i'm guessing any plugin dependent much on libraries might do this. So far antres moog and ez drummer have failed me, and psp audio vintage warmer has crapped out on me once or twice when loading. you really shouldn't touch anything at all till it has sat for a min after it opens.

It's nice but the stability with some of my sessions and plugs kinda sucks right now. The 32 bit audio bridge is my biggest issue right now :P other than that i like it. might have to go back to the version before for stability. Well that was hopeful wishing :).
Uh, how about trying to run 9.1 in 32bit mode instead? It is, uh, you know, the default. You had to actively change the default to get those problems. They will make 64bit mode the default when those problems aren't common.

I could go through and debunk many of the complaints about logic above too but it's a bit tiresome. For instance, complaint 1 is logic only has one solo mode. Not true! It has a solo region mode, which is completely cool! You hit the "S" button on the transport, and then any region(s) you select on the arrange pane will be soloed with a yellow bezel. You can set it to select all the track's regions when selecting a track, and that lets you just arrow key up and down the tracks list soloing each track in turn for prep.

Try doing that with PT.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
For instance, complaint 1 is logic only has one solo mode. Not true! It has a solo region mode, which is completely cool! You hit the "S" button on the transport, and then any region(s) you select on the arrange pane will be soloed with a yellow bezel. You can set it to select all the track's regions when selecting a track, and that lets you just arrow key up and down the tracks list soloing each track in turn for prep.

Try doing that with PT.

uhhhh - wadda you dodo whenne you dodo no havve annny region in dede arrange window - whil'e recorde 32 tragge liv'e.

Ahhhh - I got it.... You create DUMMY regions - so that you can click on them to solo groups. Stupido Mio
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
uhhhh - wadda you dodo whenne you dodo no havve annny region in dede arrange window - whil'e recorde 32 tragge liv'e.

Ahhhh - I got it.... You create DUMMY regions - so that you can click on them to solo groups. Stupido Mio
Uh....no...you use the other solo mode.

There's two.

TH
Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Uh....no...you use the other solo mode.

There's two.

TH
LOL - but that other solo mode does not allow for me to cancel the previous solo'd group or track.

Maybe I should mix the two solo modes in to a bus and do some parallel compression on them. You think that would work ?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM

well i already did run in 32 bit mode and guess what, 32 bit mode crashes after it's open for 10 seconds every time! 64 bit is the only one that works for me! egh, i want to go back to 9.02 but apple took it down and i can't find it online anywhere right now :P i might have it backed up on the 15 dvds of back up which would take hours to find.

someone please link me to 9.02 i would be so happy :)
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
LOL - but that other solo mode does not allow for me to cancel the previous solo'd group or track.

Maybe I should mix the two solo modes in to a bus and do some parallel compression on them. You think that would work ?
Just option-click solo and it will cancel the other solos.

And btw solo region mode in some ways is better than solo, as it effectively is a temporary mute of all other regions, rather than requiring solo-safeing of everything in the routing network.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiller View Post
well i already did run in 32 bit mode and guess what, 32 bit mode crashes after it's open for 10 seconds every time! 64 bit is the only one that works for me! egh, i want to go back to 9.02 but apple took it down and i can't find it online anywhere right now :P i might have it backed up on the 15 dvds of back up which would take hours to find.

someone please link me to 9.02 i would be so happy :)
In your sig you claim to have "leopard 10.5.9"

If you have magical ways of getting un-released OSes why can't you get 9.0.2?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM

no i have 10.6.2 i updated today and haven't even had the time or thought about changing it out today. was over on gear slutz and some other forums i didn't even pay attention i still had that up. oh well still doesn't solve my issue. the fact i'm even running logic 9.1 in 64 bit would be a dead give away i'm on snow leopard and the only version that supports 64bit logic is 10.6.2. Come on I thought you were sharper than that since you know all.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
Just option-click solo and it will cancel the other solos.

And btw solo region mode in some ways is better than solo, as it effectively is a temporary mute of all other regions, rather than requiring solo-safeing of everything in the routing network.
Here is what happens when you do that.

Say you have a bunch of tracks soloed and you wanna cancel those and only solo the group by clicking on any of the tracks belonging to that group.
If a normal programmer had coded this what SHOULD happen once you option-click ANY member of that group is that THAT group WOULD solo and ALL other currently soloed tracks would un-solo. Now WHAT happens is that if you option-click Logic wont solo THAT group belonging to the track which you option-clicked on. It will ONLY solo the track on which you option-clicked. After you will have to click AGAIN on another track belonging to THAT group in order for Logic to understand that THAT group SHOULD have been soloed.

This is WHAT WE MEAN and refer to when saying that Logic has POOR implementation.

I feel that I am repeating myself. I KNOW this AINT possible in Logic. Maybe you dont need that to happen for you but I AM depending on such features.
besides that PT has SIP, AFL and PFL solo modes with the following attributes: Latch, X-OR and Momentary. Professional features. Logic has this in its AUDIO preferences : Track MUte/Solo - Fast or CPU-Saving. My My.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM

I agree Logic's solo implementation can be improved, but I am illustrating that for each of your gripes there's a much more detailed story than "Logic can't do this at all!"

Logic has advantages in many of its choices, and someone wed to PT that looks at it for a few weeks isn't going to appreciate most of them. A few months of dedicated training and use and you see just what color the grass is on each side.

The only true show-stopper I've found is the broken Write automation mode...which is all of 20-30 lines of code to fix.