How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Default It can\'t be this simple

Could it be this simple?
I have an "acoustic" jazz session in 5 days... problem is that the piano is out of service.
After listening to Akoustic Piano, I think it will work fine, perhaps better than my yamaha. I have a nice weighted controller... so

1. install Akoustic Piano plugin...
2. Create an instrument track and instanciate AP and find a piano i want to use
3. Buss that to a Stereo audio track
4. record, both, midi and print this piano performance simultaneously.

As a neophyte V.I. operator, I am second guessing myself that it could be this easy.
What am I missiing here?

Is there anything I need to watch for?
Anything i can do to put this "old school" piano player at ease? lol
thanks, SB
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: It can\'t be this simple

A couple of things to check:

1. Latency - make sure it's acceptable to the player at whatever buffer size you set. Otherwise, use low latency monitoring.

2. When you record, were you planning on recording both midi AND audio with the piano? If so, then you will probably want to mute the audio track and monitor from the VI track itself. I don't usually buss instruments tracks to an audio track, but you could certainly do that as well. What I usually do is record the midi performance, tweak if necessary, then bounce to an audio track when I'm ready to mix. There's nothing that says you can't do it your way, though. You could always re-bounce just the sections that were "tweaked".

Other than those, VIs are pretty easy to set up and use in PT.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.