Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Core Audio - UNBELIEVABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
dont use it. Set up a input from your mac to your 192 and set up up on a aux. So much less headache then rewire or core audio.
Yea, this is the solution. I ditched core audio a while back and piped an optical input from my mac into a Presonus Central Station. From the remote, you can toggle between your protools and mac audio sources. Sooooo much easier than having to deal with that core audio mess. Plus you can quickly access Audioease Snapper + Spotlight to get around the other PT nightmare, workspace... Don't get me wrong, I still ProTools.

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM

OK, this intrigues me, and I might even be willing to go this route. So I'm open to suggestions about a good 8 channel firewire interface. Has to have TRS outputs, as that is what is going to my speakers at the moment.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Before I get into the technical talk about Core Audio, I wanted to Say to Tim that the noise blast is definitely atypical and, while it could be a bug in Core Audio, I couldn't say for sure without more info. If you look up 'noise blast' with any other DAW, you'll see it's everywhere - some of these instances are bugs, some are anomalies of the system. I regularly switch between Pro Tools, Live, Logic and a few other apps and, in my 20+ years of working with DAWs, have come to find the occasional noise blast is practically inevitible. That's in no way an excuse - merely an observation. As I have said for years now - no matter what system you're using, a hard limiter at the output is a good idea. You never know when a hard drive, system or app will crash and let out a blast of noise. There was one instance I remember where a file was corrupted and sent full-scale audio noise when you hit the corrupted section. I've had several instances of full scale noise when using small buffer sizes and quick stop/start sequences in other DAWs. Again, not an excuse - my experience dictates what I'm saying and not my defense of our Core Audio driver.

Now, as far as why our Core Audio driver is so finicky - TDM is different from every other app, hardware and 'system' out there. The problem is writing a kernel level driver for it - which is why we use HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer). The 002/003 are part of that same family (using HAL), but different in some respects - they use HAL mainly out of convenience (easier to write additional code in the current HAL driver for HD than to create a completely new kernel level driver), but there were a few hardware related issues that were part of the decision to use HAL for 002/003 at the time. Our newer devices (Mbox 2 series) use a kernel level driver, which is why they're much more stable with Core Audio and have multi-client support.

With that said - because we are using HAL there are many aspects that are, in essence, out of our control because of the limitations of HAL and TDM in respect to Core Audio. The real-time nature is the most significant. There are also limitations with hardware 'hooks' that are used by HAL to get system audio out the HD hardware.

We understand the frustration with the current implementation - I have been advocating an overhaul for quite awhile and have pushed for significant fixes in the current driver whenever possible. I can't speak about future development directly, but there is enough recognition of the significance of the issue around here that we'll likely see some, at least incremental, action on it in the not-too-distant future.
Hi...

Been a while since the enlightenment.... That AVID CoreAudio Manager needs an overhaul....

Almost two whole years..

I need AVID CoreAudio Manager to work. It works with TDM Hardware but NOT with the Digi 003.

Could you please look into this, Mister New TechSupport