Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Mbox3 ProTools9... can I get a better setup?

Hi Folks,

Maybe somebody out there can give me some advice. I've been using an Mbox 3 as a preamp into my PT9 software for the past 12 months. This is mainly for vocal tracks, however, I've heard great stuff about the Avalon M5 preamp; apparently it's a great bit of kit to use with the mic I use, Neumann TLM49. My question; can I use the Mbox has a means of connecting another preamp like the Avalon to PT? And if so, how?

I'm just a bit confused about the best way of connecting the Avalon to PT, as I'm under the impression that I will always need an AVID/Digidesign interface to do this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Mbox3 ProTools9... can I get a better setup?

It's possible to use non-Avid interfaces but the mbox3 is a beaut. Just plug the output of the Avalon into the input of the mbox, same place you'd plug in the mic. The mbox gain knob will need to be much lower than when it's acting as the mic pre - possibly all the way down, and you might even find that you need to pull out the gain knob to engage the 20 dB pad. I would start there - mbox gain all the way down and pad engaged. Turn up the Avalon until you get enough level and see how it sounds. Every mic/preamp combo has a gain range within which it sounds best, and every amp/line amp stage thereafter also has its own optimum range. Finding the best-sounding level for each stage is called "gain staging." There's a knack to it that you can develop with experience. Take some time to try different levels, always being careful to listen back at the same perceived level, and follow your ears. Thankfully, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a 49->Avalon->any modern converters. Lucky you.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Mbox3 ProTools9... can I get a better setup?

Thanks man! I'm going to try it out on a mate's Avalon and then take the plunge if all goes well...