Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Sin City MITB

Everything:

Music Recorded and Mixed
FX cut and Predubed
Dialog predubed
ADR recorded and Predubed
Final Mix
Printmaster
versions
ect...

4 Protools rigs, procontrol, Avid Unity, AVXL for Picture. Just a TC6000 and a 960L for echos.

-feaker
Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Sin City MITB

Brad,
Mixed by who (Re-Recording Mixer)? IMDB has Roberts name only. Is he the only one who mixed it?
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM

Sergio's down there with you guys isn't he?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:34 PM

serg...
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 PM

Default MITB: The Legend of Simon Conjurer

Independent film produced and starring Jon Voight: All 192 voices used. Final Mixed stems and DX-MX-BGs-FO-SFX stems were also created within each session. The final mix was on a G5/2.0, the audio played off a Digi firewire drive. No outboard gear were heard during the mix of the film . The stems were done in 2 passes.... I ran out of busses . The video is playing off the internal ATA drive, DV format through a ADVC 100 Canopus.
From Editing to the Final Mix, the PT sessions went through 3 different rooms, OS9 and OSX, Mixplus 6.4.1 to HD 6.7 back and forth without a glitch.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: MITB: The Legend of Simon Conjurer

Congratulations on your work.

>The stems were done in 2 passes.... I ran out of busses<

Very shortly you won't have to worry about this anymore.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:12 AM

I remember the Manifesto that Mr. Rodriguez wrote soon after he completed "El Mariachi", where he preached that "creatives" should learn everything about the technique so as not to depend on the "technicians" (someone holds a grudge, and the word "No" must make Mr. Rodriguez faint).

Well, at least he seems to be living by his words because he seems to have been the cinematographer and editor and visual effect supervisor too. I notice that the "electronic music engineer" was a guy named Wolfgang Amadeus, even though Robert also composed some of the music.

How much did Miramax end up spending to fix the sound of "El Mariachi"? Was it really a million dollars?

I think it's a marketing sham; the Robert Rodriguez Corporation must have several grey figures moving his tethers behind the black cloth; kind of like the Walt Disney Corporation of yonder...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 AM

Having worked on some RR projects I can say that he doesn't subscribe to Hollywood convention-

Those of us who work in feature sound can testify to the waste that is common in the endeavor, and it seems Robert is sensitive to it- He does his stuff in a quick manner, and since he tends to foot the bill upfront, It gets done for a lot less money than most things. The biggest single impediment to most films sound process is simply lack of decisiveness, mainly due to the corporate mentality of the studios. I think that Robert tries to nip that in the bud as soon as possible in all areas of his film making which is why his films can be done in a more effecient (and cost effective) manner than most. A good read is the current Wired, which has an interesting interview with him.

He is fantastically talented guy, I wish there were more film makers like him.

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM

Well, if you vouchsafe Mr Rodriguez, then I trust you. Maybe that manifesto has left a bitter aftertaste lingering from when I read it (in my first year of Film School), but if we really are talking about a Renaissance Man, manifestos be damned...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 AM

The probvlem here of course, is that the illusion is created that one CAN do everything themselves.
So, you will get a bunch of filmmakers who will have the opinion that they really can do everythign themselves, and be as good at it as people who have been doign it all their lives.

I see it in the number of shows beign mixe din AVids and FCP. Complete crap.
And also, RR is in a position other new filmmakers aren't, as i ownig his own facility.

BTW, I though Sin City was excedllent. But that is the first film of his I've liked.
Allthough Spy Kids was cute as well.

The other films, in spite of the hype, I thought sucked.

www.markhensley.tv