Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2022, 12:03 AM

Default Pro tools Studio Perpetual Reinstatement License don't expire?

I bought Pro tools Studio Perpetual Reinstatement License but not active it yet.
My old PT HD expired on Jan 25, 2022.
if i active today, does it starting to count on day1?
How long that I keep it if i'm not use it right now?
Old 07-29-2022, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Pro tools Studio Perpetual Reinstatement License don't expire?

Lets try to be careful with terminology. Perpetual licenses do not expire. Support/update programs for those licenses do.

If you purchased a support/update program reinstatement from a reseller (ie not Avid directly) then supposedly that lasts forever until you decide to activate it.

These questions have been answered on DUC many times already, search/google can help you find them.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-29-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:32 AM

“My old PT HD “
“ bought Pro tools Studio Perpetual Reinstatement ”

Will this combo work? HD to Studio?
Old 07-29-2022, 12:35 PM

^^^ oh good catch. I don't think that will work. I assume this must be from a dealer not the Avid store/my products which I believe will not won't sell the wrong reinstatement.... if so followup with the dealer.

BTW as a sample looked over the (widely used?) Sweetwater upgrade finder and it sure *seem* to imply this will work, but that may just be confusion where they talk about "Pro Tools"... does that mean Pro Tools standard or HD? or both? And they talk about the Studio reinstatement being for studio users... (nope no Studio user is looking to reinstate anything). What a confusing mess to present to users.

The Avid reinstatement licensing FAQs do not makes this clear.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-29-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:26 PM

If you have perpetual you still need to pay the same amount every year for update? As you would for the sub?
Old 07-29-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizment View Post
If you have perpetual you still need to pay the same amount every year for update? As you would for the sub?
You don't *need* to do anything. what do you *want* to do?

Lets try to be careful with terminology. Perpetual licenses do not expire. Support/update programs for those licenses do.

If you want to continue to receive updates and have access to support after the first year of that which is included in a reinstatement then you pay the annual fee for that, which is less than a reinstatement, and less than an annual subscription. support/update programs are very different than a "subscription". If you let the support/update program lapse the threat from Avid is you cannot restart it without buying a reinstatement... which might not be available... and then you would be SOL... but so far Avid have buckled on that multiple times, coming out with multiple new reinstatement promo programs. They are now the wolf who cried boy, I expect may do so again in future any time they are trying to make quarterly revenue numbers... but please don't rely on that. If you want to play those games buy a spare reinstatement now from a dealer and hold onto it to use in future.

All this stuff *is* explained on Avid product pages and KB articles.