Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 AM

Default will elastic time fix...

just discovered that drum tracks for 2 songs recorded in another studio were done a couple of bpm too slow. I've never bothered to even look at elastic time since I got PT 8 couple months ago. Can it fix, or do I need to redo the drums?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Default Re: will elastic time fix...

Maybe. I would watch some of the videos on EA first. To cover your behind, I would import the drum tracks to a new session. Then make a group of all the drum tracks(to maintain phase between all the mics). Select Rythmic and let it analyze. Set your desired tempo BPM. I would slide the tracks(all together as they are grouped) so the first hit is on the grid. Then I would lock the first downbeat by viewing warp markers and placing a locked marker(its WIndows-click on a PC, sorry I don't know how on a Mac). The go to the last hit at the end and drop a locked marker there as well. Then grab the end marker and drag it earier in the timeline. I know this all sounds like Greek, but after you see it done, and play with it a bit, it will start to make sense. The reason I said Maybe, is because, sometimes stretching/compressing can cause some artifacts, depending on how far you push things.

There are also ways to creatre midi info from drum tracks and you could possibly create a new drum performance via midi and a VI like ezdrummer, or Structure(using drum samples, maybe even the actual sounds from the original tracks).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
There are also ways to creatre midi info from drum tracks and you could possibly create a new drum performance via midi and a VI like ezdrummer, or Structure(using drum samples, maybe even the actual sounds from the original tracks).
Massey has a plugin, called DTM, that you get free if you buy any of his other plugins. It will take the drums and turn them into MIDI as albee suggests...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks. No better way to learn a new function than to have a good reason to dive in, eh?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Group your drum tracks and put them in Tick Based Time. Choose the Rhythmic algorithm of EA. Change tempo. If it is only a few bpm (ie 1 or 2) this should work fine. If it is more than that, you could probably use a combination of manual and tce edits to make the job sound flawless.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks. I don't have the separate drum files here at the moment. I've got a ruff mix of the song I've been adding keys to here in my home. I'm guessing I can try this with the mix stereo track?