Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2001, 01:40 AM

Default Sound Replacer weirdness

PT 5.1.1, OS 9.0.4, PM9500, Sound Replacer 1.2.1 (I think)

When using presets created with earlier versions of Sound Replacer, it seems that the wrong audio files are printed to the destination track. I was trying a few different snares the other day, and the same one kept appearing in the destination track, even after reselecting the file.

Is this a known issue to be fixed in a future update? Is there a recommended way to reinstall SR so it will work flawlessly?
Old 09-23-2001, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Sound Replacer weirdness

Well, nothing like a good old restart to clean out the memory problems. I fired up the same session today and created new presets. All the right soundfiles were printed. However...

There are still serious bugs. On one song, 99% of the kick track was successfully enhanced with sounds printed to a separate track. But there was one 1/8 note pair of kicks where the yellow lines indicated two kicks would be printed but this didn't happen. Instead, the first one was skipped and a double loud one was near, but not on the second one. No matter what parameters I changed, Sound Replacer was unable to execute its own instructions.

If anyone is interested, I'll send any relevant sessions and sound files, as I'm sure this is a repeatable bug. It happened in at least five places in the song with the same kick pattern, which leads me to suspect that its related to the position of the kicks and the size of the replacement file.

There were several other instances where no yellow lines were visible, but the replaced sound appeared in the destination track anyway [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Well, in spite of all this weirdness, I still got some work done. When this plugin works, its really great, still by far the fastest way to beef up a sound. The speed and accuracy are better than any other method. Just a few bugs left to work out.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:12 PM

Lou I have had the same problems. Sound Replacer is extrmely buggy. If you are switching between samples for trigs and wanna use the same preset stuff you gotta keep restarting thr program and putting back in the settings. I tired using the trashcan to get rid of the samples I dont wnat but that doesnt work. One of the other things I have noticed with Sound Replacer is it seriously alters the bottom end of the samples. A/b a Sound Replaced KI with one of the same sample and just drag it over. Night and Day. Unfortunatly Sound Replacer is a lot like a girlfriend it has qualities that are annoying but its great enough that you keep using it over and over again. By The way Lou I love the way that last Sunny Day record sounds.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:43 AM

Thanks, CFS. Fortunately for me, Greg Keplinger (the guy who makes the snare drums) was the drum tech for William Goldsmith on the Sunny Day project, so I had little need for Sound Replacer.

I forgot to mention a related topic to SR changing the sound. I have a few 24-bit samples which I created in a 24-bit session. I put those in my SR Audio Files folder. For some unknown reason, when I use those files, the printed region contains SRCC in the file name !?! The file was 24-bit to begin with. Why is SR converting the file?
Old 09-24-2001, 12:43 AM

I've not had any of these problems with sound replacer. Here's a couple of things to do though.
I never use the peak align function, it's not as tight beleive it or not.
I don't bother using the mix facility either, that can act a little strange, I'll also use the sample sample on the loudest threshold as the lowest. Leave the loudest thresold all the way open. The reason I do this, I started noticing SR missing really loud hits, and it's because it is over the max thresold for SR.
The best thing for accurate (and quick SR) triggering is buying a couple of D Drum triggers and recording the sound these make also. Trigger, direct into mic amp into PT's. Then trigger off these, alot easier!
Also , because SR is so tight, zoom right in, align those sample right up and then invert the samples if needed due to phasing probs.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:29 AM

Love those keplinger snares have recorded em once or twice. You got great seperation on those drums for not having to have even mixed a trigger in. Andy I found that Peak Align changed totally with one of the versions of Sound Replacer I used to not use it now I do. you should chefck your version number. By the way Andy I think the studio I work at(West West Side) did some mastering for something you did Skinlab or something?
Old 09-25-2001, 04:09 AM

The problem I find with peak align, at least with the version I have, is it aligns the start of the sample with the peak on the trigger, so it's always slightly late, but it doesn't seem consistent. Not that I'm particually bothered as working without it seems tight and phase happy so....
West West side mmmm not familiar with that studio, the Skinlab stuff I've done was mastered at Ocean Way LA and Transfermation in London. Thank God for sound replacer though, the days of midi drift and flamming snares are behind me!