Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2024, 12:41 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
Could someone here write an idiot's guide for us not so savvy Mac folks on how to do this? Can I get rid of Chess, Notes, Garageband, Photos etc etc.. like I used to be able to do before Ventura?? Should I switch off spotlight - or not? It all seems to change with every release!!

I have Mac Studio M1 Ultra - and would really like to have an easy to read list of things I can do to maximise the efficiency of the computer... I think the Avid one is a little out of date?

Thanks guys...
This may be some assistance. Once you have a read and a few changes, do a restart then look at activity monitor and see what she's doing under the hood.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ization-guide/

Pro Tools 24.3.1
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 | Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB | 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 | OSX 14.3.1

Ensoniq ASR10 and VFX SD, Yamaha EX7, Protools, Logic, UAD studio ecosystem, old but trusty TDM system, Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Focusrite, SSL, various vintage outboard- Tubes keep me warm in the winter. Yes, I still keep a reel to reel running Ampex 456.

Last edited by randomizer; 03-24-2024 at 12:42 PM. Reason: link added
Old 03-25-2024, 03:21 AM

I am having 1000s of log lines like this. Any Idea what can cause them?

HTML Code:
[I]317493.033297,5c60b,0e0f: CMN_TRACEASSERT  I don't think this is used anymore (false) /Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2024/r1/ProTools/AAE/Source/DirectMidi/CDirectMidi.cpp line 1365[/I]
Old 03-25-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
I built a bootable Ventura drive - did a “erase all contents and settings” - and reloaded *everything*.

I’m happy to report Pro Tools 2024.3 is working great on Ventura.

I’ll wait a good long while before updating to Sonoma.

How long did this take to do? Can I do this but just revert back to Sonoma 14.3?

I’ve lost a day’s work because 14.4 has rendered Pro Tools completely unusable, in both native and rosetta modes.

Currently Logic is scanning all my plugins again and apparently if I run Logic in Rosetta I can do some work.

I don’t usually stay up to date with Mac OS’s without checking the Avid compatibility page first recent ones have been great so I didn’t really think about it.

Now my Pro Tools is done. Completely unusable. Can’t run any sessions without the beachball popping up and everything hanging.

I never thought something like this would happen! Used PT for years now and at worst I thought there could be a little bug here and there but this is brutal!!
Old 03-25-2024, 09:14 AM

As a side note, why does Avid persist with iLok? They cause nothing but problems. This 14.4 issue is most likely Apple’s fault, but iLok specifically is being affected and causing all DAWs to crash.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
iLok specifically is being affected and causing all DAWs to crash.
No. The ilok issue is specific to AU plugins (like Logic uses) not AAX. Which is why Pro Tools is not affected by it but Logic is. Running in Rosetta is the temp fix for this issue if needing to use AU plugins.
But that isn't a reason Pro Tools is crashing if that's happening for you.
It's also why lots of Pro Tool users are having NO issues on Sonoma.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:50 AM

Sonoma 14.4.1 now out

I don’t know if it’s out for everyone, or on a rolling basis, but I just saw notice of a Sonoma update (14.4.1) that lists the following fixes

This update provides bug fixes for your Mac, including:

USB hubs connected to external displays may not be recognized

Copy protected Audio Unit plug-ins designed for professional music apps may not open or pass validation

Apps that include Java may quit unexpectedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-25-2024, 11:05 AM

Sonoma 14.4.1 just released. My backup was nearly completed when I noticed it. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue. Otherwise I’ve downloaded 14.3.1 from MrMacintosh.com so would have to install their OS file, which I’m not sure how painless/full that would be.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Sonoma 14.4.1 now out

I don’t know if it’s out for everyone, or on a rolling basis, but I just saw notice of a Sonoma update (14.4.1) that lists the following fixes

This update provides bug fixes for your Mac, including:

USB hubs connected to external displays may not be recognized

Copy protected Audio Unit plug-ins designed for professional music apps may not open or pass validation

Apps that include Java may quit unexpectedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, this information looks amazing right now. I’m currently downloading. Very hopeful this is the fix!
Old 03-25-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No. The ilok issue is specific to AU plugins (like Logic uses) not AAX. Which is why Pro Tools is not affected by it but Logic is. Running in Rosetta is the temp fix for this issue if needing to use AU plugins.
But that isn't a reason Pro Tools is crashing if that's happening for you.
It's also why lots of Pro Tool users are having NO issues on Sonoma.
So why couldn't Pro Tools verify any of my iLok-secured plugins? Do you know the reason and / or fix for this?

(About to install 14.4.1 - I’ll report back if issue is resolved)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
Sonoma 14.4.1 just released. My backup was nearly completed when I noticed it. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue. Otherwise I’ve downloaded 14.3.1 from MrMacintosh.com so would have to install their OS file, which I’m not sure how painless/full that would be.
I just did a wipe-and-reload this weekend. I had most every package, plugin and sample library downloaded on an external SSD. It took 3 or so hours to get up-and-running again *after* Ventura was loaded.

Life is like an Analogy.