Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2023, 11:05 AM

Default Sync Hardware Setup - Word Clock

I am setting up an atmos post sound mixing system with two mix machines and a record machine. They will be connected via satellite link, and mix to record will be connected via Dante. Each system HDX. Each system running MTRX II's.

To have frame edge sync, the plan is to have 3 Sync HD's receiving video reference from a black magic sync generator.

My question is: with video reference going to all machines, is word clock also necessary to sync the system? Would I need to go from the main Sync HD word clock out to the other two Sync HD word clock ins, then out to their MTRX's?

Is there a benefit to adding word clock, or is the video reference to each system getting them in sync and word clock not necessary?
Old 07-13-2023, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Sync Hardware Setup - Word Clock

best practice: a master clock that drives everything (word and video ref)
acceptable: ref clock the recording rig and take word clock from it to the 2 source rigs
vid refing might work but keep your ears open for the pops that a word clock miss may cause

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-14-2023, 07:20 AM

Use the video ref for all systems.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your help Will and Craig! I have the system up and running, the Sync X is great for the distribution of all those signals.

Thanks again,
Jimmie