Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 01:50 AM

Default How to create an Import Session?

Hi everyone,

We start to work on a film with several reconforms planned, different editors, and different edit suites with different PT versions. The Production sound is recorded with 3 different devices (Mostly Cantar and Sound Devices).

My questions: The AAF Import: We are planning to make on big import session for every editor to create unique file ideas. There was problems in the past where there was wrong referencing in the clips. Do you guys usually import the production sound via "link to" to create unique ID's or "copy in" to avoid Unique file ID problems ? It's 900 GB of production sound... Same goes for the mxf files import from MC?
Is it best to create an assembly of the production sound via EDL's and Ediload ? That's what I usually do, but time consuming.
The cantar rushes have 3 different folders for each shooting day. One with mono files (typical cantar) and two with polywav versions of each take per scene.
I would use the polywav folders, since I use these in Soundminer as well for a better view. Does this make sense? The Picture editors edited with everything all over the place - thanks for you help.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:19 AM

Default Re: How to create an Import Session?

Yes I always do that for the original BWAVs before the files get distributed to the team to avoid relink-issues when every editor has different unique IDs. Just import the BWAVs with "Add" into an empty session (no need to copy on import) and PT will inject file-IDs into the BWAVs. You can verify the result via the workspace.

I've just done it this morning. With a fast drive it should only take a few minutes even with a couple of hundred GBs of BWAVs

You don't need to do that for the MXFs from the AVID. Any audio in the AVID already contains unique IDs. (which you can also see in the workspace)

Wether or not you use the mono or poly BWAVs is really up to you. Either should work. Soundminer has a Cantar mode that will show mono files as one asset.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:37 AM

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply. Very helpful.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:12 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi Adam View Post
Is it best to create an assembly of the production sound via EDL's and Ediload? That's what I usually do, but time consuming.
When assembling with EdiLoad I'd recommend loading an AAF (ex Media Composer) or XML (ex Premiere Pro) rather than EDL(s) as AAF and XML files contain:
  • scene and take number fields
  • the frame rate of each source clip
  • multiple video and audio tracks
  • lower case text and space characters in field data
  • additional metadata fields that EdiLoad can fall-back to
This may also help speed up the process and if you haven't used the EdiLoad v5 Assembly widow, that will definitely help. Demo video here.

Best regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 02-19-2024, 09:38 PM

Dear Marc,

AAF feature is great, I use Ediload all the time. Recently had the issue of an XML export of premiere pro where we couldn’t find an option of including scene and take number into the metadata of an XML. I couldn’t find any info on this workflow?
Thank you.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk