Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Default Nothing but negative feedback online

I know not all Pro Tools users are online, but so far, about 98% of the feedback I've read online (this forum, Pro Tools Expert, YouTube, etc) from users of Pro Tools, is almost all negative. The 2% of the people I've seen expressing anything positive about Pro Tools 12 are Avid themselves and some of the moderators on this forum. Even with all the negativity I've read over the past few months, I was still gonna buy the upgrade and try for myself. But I just can't do it when I see absolutely 0 value with parting with my money. Not one new feature? I know new stuff is coming, but come on. No exporting of stems for native users at least?! I don't even consider cloud collab a new feature because I can't even use it if none of my peers have Pro Tools 12. Hell, with so many other DAW's killing Pro Tools on the features and price, a lot of people, especially younger guys aren't even using Pro Tools at all. Most of the people I do collaborations with don't use Pro Tools and often have to send me wav stems. Where is the value in Pro Tools 12. What's going on?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Nothing but negative feedback online

New to Pro Tools, new to the Mac in the past 4 months.
So far, I am only experiencing the learning curve of what I know of Sonar on the PC, and learning PT on a Mac. Beyond that, I think it runs like a tank, super fast, and gives you far more template options that what I can tell from Sonar or my experience with Cubase some years back.

I'm fine with PT, their customer support was very helpful to me.
Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M-1024 MB, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo
Midi I/O: Arturia, (The Laboratory 49), V-Collection 3 & 4, Beta Tester for V-5 & Analog Lab 2.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM

My problem is not with the software so much. Its with this new subscription based money grab. They say its not forced but it is.

I see no benefit from upgrading to 12. Give me a feature worth upgrading for. Not a built in dropbox.

They should look at other companies pricing, features and make a business model that makes sense in 2015.

899 for native protools to buy. 550 for cubase. Kids are going to go to the cheaper product and the home studio is becoming the norm.

From a fewtures stand point protools lags in areas yet they force 12 on us with cloud collaboration? I like the software dont get me wrong. But if im going to shell out 600 dollars (im an hd user) then i need usable features or i stay put on my somewhat stable version.

Hd users still dont know our fate. We have huge investments in hardware only to pay 50 dollars a month?

I dunno guys this could be avids demise. Pretty bad feedback for sure.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFlyingSquirrel View Post
New to Pro Tools...
it is a matter of perspective. Most of the distrust is with those people who have used Pro Tools for a some time now, and feel put upon by the forced new licensing scheme. People have payed a lot of money through the past few years and feel they've received little in return. Version 11 had a significant rebuild of the software engine, but offered little in the way of new features. Avid likes to sell bug fixes and performance optimization as new version numbers. People just want Pro Tools to include new functionality that is found on competitors' software.

Give us something for our money!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 PM

To TonyFlyingSquirrel
I`m exactly in your boots man.
Peace
Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 AM

Well I'm not a moderator and I've said many times over that 12 works better on my system that 11.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
899 for native protools to buy. 550 for cubase. Kids are going to go to the cheaper product and the home studio is becoming the norm.
I'd love to say the home market isn't their target market and maybe that would explain some things. However, that then wouldn't explain Pro Tools First.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:35 AM

The reason that all feedback online is negative is because it's a complete rip off.
You cannot just change the splash screen and say it's a new version.

The situation reminds me of the pre-Jobs (2) Apple era.
There's a group of people at the top that obviously knows a lot about figures and numbers.
But they are completely out of touch with their users.

We'll all witness where this will lead....
Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 AM

It all comes down to how fast they will release a new update. The arguments are that this way the can release minor updates faster, without having to wait and do major releases. If that works out the users will be happy in the end. I guess most of the anger here is because they are not even capable to deliver this release to existing customers who are entitled to this release, after doing upgrades to 11. 199$ a year for native users isn't that bad if that gives you a better experience with regular updates. And I guess 599$ for most HD is ok too. But again it all depend on Avid starting to deliver fast.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
It all comes down to how fast they will release a new update. The arguments are that this way the can release minor updates faster, without having to wait and do major releases. If that works out the users will be happy in the end. I guess most of the anger here is because they are not even capable to deliver this release to existing customers who are entitled to this release, after doing upgrades to 11. 199$ a year for native users isn't that bad if that gives you a better experience with regular updates. And I guess 599$ for most HD is ok too. But again it all depend on Avid starting to deliver fast.
I think most the anger comes from users needing to update yearly or they loose that ability if their plan lapses.