Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 LE & Eleven Rack! Pops and Clicks in Playback! Tried Everything! Help!

Hello Avid Community! I've searched through a number of threads for a solution to this, so I'm sorry for the redundancy, but this is my last cry for help. My specs are found at the bottom of this post.

As a novice to the Pro Tools experience, it could be something that I have overlooked a million times. Late last year, in a fit of excitement I upgraded my OSX to Mavericks as soon as it came out not even thinking of the ramifications of what it might do to my Pro Tools setup, dumb. Well, as you can guess, things went a little haywire. Now when I record into my sessions, through my Eleven Rack, it records clean, but during playback I hear random pops and clicks through out the recorded audio. I've read through almost every thread looking for a possible solution, or perhaps I'm doing something totally wrong. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Playback Engine: Switching Sample and Processor options. My comp is only capable of running 2 Processors, and only when it's at the highest sample rate do I hear anything, recording or playback, with any audio/mid/instrument track.

2. Switching out USB cables. I've heard this could be a problem and has been a solution for some. I've tried 3-4 different cables.

3. Uninstall/Reinstall of PT and ER. I thought starting over from scratch could fix the problem. To no avail. Still get the clicks and pops.

4. PT updates and ER drivers: Should be all up to date. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Eleven rack driver from previous updates, before Mavericks. No Luck.

4. Try it on another computer. Installed the same set up on my Macbook Pro recently and everything works fine (Mid 2012). Which is great! I'm able to record and playback at at low sample rates and run 8 processors. Easy peezy. However, my workflow with my iMac is preferable. Could it be the fact that my iMac is older and the combo of PT 8 LE, Eleven Rack, Mavericks, and the Late 2009 comp is the reason?

5. Source Clock. No too versed on this, but it seems "internal" has always worked on both ends.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. Please throw as many questions at me as possible. I wanna make sure I haven't missed anything. During this whole debacle, I've been toying with the idea of crossgrading to PT11/10, after reading the threads about it's performance with Mavericks now. But how can I be sure that it will fix the problem? The ultimate question is, is my computer just too old? Or am I just missing something crucial with my PT sessions or Eleven Rack Set Up?

Thank you again.

SPECS:

COMP: Late 2009 iMac 27inch
SOFTWARE: OS X 10.9.3
PROCESSOR: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MEMORY: 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

DAW:
PRO TOOLS 8.0.5 LE
ELEVEN RACK (Latest 1.2.0 Driver installed, USB 2.0)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE & Eleven Rack! Pops and Clicks in Playback! Tried Everything! Help

Wanted to update my session setting from my most recent sessions

Hardware
Eleven Rack

Software
Pro Tools 8.0.5 LE
H/W Buffer Size: 2048
Host Processors: 2
CPU Usage Limit: 90%
Host Engine: Minimize Additional I/O Latency CHECKED
DAE Playback - Size: Level: 2
Cache Size: Normal
www.pianofightfilms.com

COMP SPECS:

COMP 1: Comp: Late 2009 iMac 27inch
OSX: 10.9.3 Mavericks
Processor:3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

COMP 2: Macbook Pro (Mid 2012, 15-inch)
OSX: 10.9.3 Mavericks
Processor:2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

DAW:
Pro Tools 8.0.5 LE
Eleven Rack
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 8 LE & Eleven Rack! Pops and Clicks in Playback! Tried Everything! Help

Obviously the Mac Book is a much more powerful machine, that could easily be why you are having clicks and pops on the iMac.

As you probably know, PT8 is not approved for Mavericks, and probably never will be since LE8 is no longer being worked on.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...ility/en436391

Pro Tools LE8 installs the needed drivers with the PT install, but you could try updating them manually, though, they are not approved for PT LE8
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

You could try switching the cores in PT from 2 to 1 as well.

Whenever you run an unsupported system, there is a higher possibility of problem vs running an approved system. You are kind of on your own here....

I'm a Windows users, so hopefully some Mac users will come by and offer some other possible solutions. Good Luck.

You can also search the Avid Knowledgebase for more info. Such as this:

No audio from Avid Audio Interface with Mac OS X Mavericks on some Core 2 Duo Macs

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio