Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2001, 08:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: Soft SampleCell + ATTO Problem

Addditional suggestion:
-Upgrade to ATTO EPT v2.7 (for compatibility with Mac OS 9.2)

-Install the ATTO system extension

-Launch EPT, double click the drives connected to the ATTO card, enable "Inhibit driver loading" in the Device Information window, and restart

-To make certain the SSC INIT loads first, add a space or underscore at the beginning of the name.

Brent
Old 12-20-2001, 04:59 PM

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. I have found that if I disable Miro V2 drivers then soft samplecell will work. but if I enable them then I get the init crossed out.
Well this is a huge problem! How can I do stuff to picture? It worked fine with my old trusty 9600 with Powerlogix and the older Miro drivers but with the new drivers it will not load. I have done all the things mentioned by digisupport in this post, but still no go. There needs to be a quick fix for this.
My system is a G4 867 with 1 gig RAM and a Mix+ (ADAT Bridge interface) with Miro DC 30 (PAL) and ATTO dual UW card. VXA on second bus and a Kingston 4 bay on the other bus. 2 internal drives and the internal DVD R/W.
I have just confirmed that if I turn off the SCSI drives then the Sample cell Init will load with the DC 30 drivers operating, so this does indeed sound like an ATTO problem. My drives are formatted with the apple drive setup as this was suggested as the best for system compatibility.
Hope this helps
Simon L. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Plan for the worst, Hope for the Best.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:09 PM

OK inhibiting the driver loading using the new 2.7 worked and now I can have the DC30 and sample cell
Thanks guys
Merry Xmas to all
Simon L.

Old 12-20-2001, 10:29 PM

Still no joy for me I'm afraid.

Updated Atto firmware to 1.64 and installed Express ProTools 2.7 and extension. Inhibit drivers ticked.

Still the only way to get this happening is to format the drives with Apples Drive Setup as Simon mentions above.

I thought the general concensus is that Atto and FWB drivers are much better on external scsi stuff. Any comment Brent?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2001, 07:46 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Vinylizor:
I thought the general concensus is that Atto and FWB drivers are much better on external scsi stuff. Any comment Brent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-You are correct. For SCSI, use the ATTO format utility.

-When "inhibit driver loading" is enabled and you have the ATTO extension installed, the ATTO drivers are used, but are loaded into RAM at startup (as opposed to reading what is installed on the drive).

-Why this only seems to work when the drives are formatted with Apple Drive Setup first remains a puzzling fact.

Just so I understand things correctly:
-Formatting your SCSI drives with Apple Drive Setup, installing the ATTO extension and inhibit driver loading on the SCSI drives allows the Soft SC INIT to load?

Brent
Old 12-21-2001, 09:12 PM

That seems to be the formula for us. We had all kinds of grief when we had our SCSI drives formatted with FWB and were using Firewire drives so I formatted all of our drives with Apple drive setup and it worked like a dream until this problem with Soft Sample Cell. But this has fixed the problem, at least for me.
Simon L.

Old 12-22-2001, 12:21 AM

Yes Brent

If I format the drives with Apples Drive setup SSC is fine - whether or not Inhibit Driver is ticked in the ATTO app.

If I use FWB or ATTO to format the drives (again whether or not Inhibit Driver is ticked in the ATTO app) SSC won't load.

If I start up the mac with the scsi drives off and mount later SSC works fine - no matter whet they are loaded with.

The thing is (as I said above) what is most puzzling is that SSC worked fine before with the drives as they were shipped to me from Glyph. Glyph have told me that pre OS9 they used FWB and after ATTO.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:50 PM

Bump
Old 12-28-2001, 08:08 AM
Avid

Just to clarify, you should add a space in front of the Soft SampleCell INIT extension name...this will force it to load first.

Adding an underscore as I previously mentioned forces it last in the list.

Brent
Old 01-02-2002, 12:34 AM

A couple of posts below a guy noticed that the SSC extension's icon was corrupted on startup. If I get SSC to load correctly by leaving my audio HD's off I also see this - except it is corrupted with the ethernet extensions startup icon.