Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2023, 12:05 PM

Default Dialog Bus in a 5.1 Mix - Mono, 5.0, 5.1?

Hello everyone,

I read on these forums that some people just have a mono dialog bus in their 5.1 mixes. I've also read where other people have a 5.0 or 5.1 dialog bus.

I assume if you're routing your dialog to a mono dialog bus that all your verbs are mono too? I generally route all my dialog verbs to the dialog bus.

Is there an advantage to having a mono dialog bus as opposed to a 5.0/5.1 bus? Or is it just personal preference?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Dialog Bus in a 5.1 Mix - Mono, 5.0, 5.1?

You'll get a lot of varied replies on this one. It's partially a taste thing. A mono DX bus will save a little bit of processing power, but I'm not sure it's all that necessary these days, and I'll be easier to pan dialogue when you need to (although that is certainly rare-ish). No point in having a 5.1 DX bus though, 5.0 is all you'll ever need. Chances are if you ever feel the need to put dialogue in the LFE, there will be a VERY specific reason and you'll probably create a bespoke template for that mix.

For verbs, I find that mono dialogue verb does sound best when you're just using it to match lines and tone, but a 5.0 reverb is great to have if you're using it to create a sense of massive space, like a character shouting in an empty church, etc. But again, this can all be chalked up to taste.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:43 AM

I just use a 5.1 Bus for consistency. Certainly not needed.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:36 PM

I always thought 5.0 was all I needed for a DX bus, but then Dune..
Old 11-15-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSloth View Post
You'll get a lot of varied replies on this one. It's partially a taste thing. A mono DX bus will save a little bit of processing power, but I'm not sure it's all that necessary these days, and I'll be easier to pan dialogue when you need to (although that is certainly rare-ish). No point in having a 5.1 DX bus though, 5.0 is all you'll ever need. Chances are if you ever feel the need to put dialogue in the LFE, there will be a VERY specific reason and you'll probably create a bespoke template for that mix.

For verbs, I find that mono dialogue verb does sound best when you're just using it to match lines and tone, but a 5.0 reverb is great to have if you're using it to create a sense of massive space, like a character shouting in an empty church, etc. But again, this can all be chalked up to taste.
Multiple mono verbs on hand. And some stereo and a 5.0 for different sorts of environments when you want a complete 360, but sometimes its too much when you just want to feel the size in the back or sides.

5.1 bus nowadays is just easier to setup with everything. Run across an underwater scene it gives some thickness.
But its a rarity.
Almost every plugin
Old 11-20-2023, 08:51 AM

I just make the widest delivery dial stem. If a network asks for 5.1 dial stem, that's the dial bus I make. Even if it's only coming from the center channel.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-25-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I just make the widest delivery dial stem. If a network asks for 5.1 dial stem, that's the dial bus I make. Even if it's only coming from the center channel.
this.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:21 PM

Never figured out Master Link button.

If you have a 5.1 channel and change the channel selector to center and have Master Link enable does this mean that the C is the key source and the rest of the channels follow that level (if you have a compressor on the channel)?

All the best
Benny
Old 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM

You have to unlink the channels in the plugin. Otherwise all the channels of the plugin will follow the same settings. Selecting the channel view only shows you the settings for that channel of the plugin.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Never figured out Master Link button.

If you have a 5.1 channel and change the channel selector to center and have Master Link enable does this mean that the C is the key source and the rest of the channels follow that level (if you have a compressor on the channel)?

All the best
Benny
If you are using a multi-mono instance of the plug-in, then they do not share sidechain key sources. The master Link button allows you to gang the controls so that the settings are the same on all channels, but it operates like six mono compressors that all have unlinked sidechains.

In other words, in a multi mono instance of the plug-in, level changes on the C channel will not cause compression to occur on the L or R or any other channel.