Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Nothing but negative feedback online

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If you haven't already explored this workflow, check out Setup > Preferences > Operation tab > Record Section > disable "Link Record and Play Faders". Record arm whichever tracks you want, pull the faders down. Now they cut automatically when armed for record.
The problem with this workflow is that once the track is record enabled and the fader is down, you don't hear any playback on that track until you switch off record mode. Pretty much the same result as muting the track if you are recording on it.

In all my other DAWs, the record armed track I am recording on, will mute automatically and then unmute when recording has stopped. When I engage playback, all tracks that are armed for recording will playback without any further action from me.

The AutoMute program creates a virtual HUI controller and more or less presses the mute button on record enabled tracks when I am recording and then unmutes them when recording ceases. Problem is, AFAICT, is Windows sees the virtual HUI as a midi device and I run into a problem where I start losing Midi I/O for hardware controllers.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM

Dave, you're right. That is a pain.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I get what your saying, but it just seems like they should have made these under the hood Improvements to PT11 first and then add some real fetures to 12. I think that would have been the right thing to do. Instead they just move on to 12 while 11 is still half baked for some. How long has PT 11 been out?

This is not directed at you Southsidemusic I'm just saying.

Yeah, that is definitely something I have noted. Some of the 'improvements' in PT12 that are getting mentions in this forum really only sound like 'bug fixes' for busted stuff in PT11.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
The problem with this workflow is that once the track is record enabled and the fader is down, you don't hear any playback on that track until you switch off record mode. Pretty much the same result as muting the track if you are recording on it.

In all my other DAWs, the record armed track I am recording on, will mute automatically and then unmute when recording has stopped. When I engage playback, all tracks that are armed for recording will playback without any further action from me.

The AutoMute program creates a virtual HUI controller and more or less presses the mute button on record enabled tracks when I am recording and then unmutes them when recording ceases. Problem is, AFAICT, is Windows sees the virtual HUI as a midi device and I run into a problem where I start losing Midi I/O for hardware controllers.
What you need to do is set it to Auto Input Monitoring. This will allow audio to play while the track is record enabled and not actually recording. Any incoming audio will not be heard until recording stops.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15