Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Nothing but negative feedback online

>But they are completely out of touch with their users.

I just saw in another thread that the CEO just said that they feel closer to their users than ever.
Out of curiosity checked their Audio Marketing Director, Tony Carridi's linkedin page and he has a BA in political science, Says a lot I think.

Jesper
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 AM

What does Tony's education have to do with anything?
He is a great guy and knows his **** so don't blame the wrong folks please.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
What does Tony's education have to do with anything?
He is a great guy and knows his **** so don't blame the wrong folks please.
Then who are the right folks to blame?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesele View Post
Out of curiosity checked their Audio Marketing Director, Tony Carridi's linkedin page and he has a BA in political science, Says a lot I think.

Jesper
Many in music who play in hobby bands for the passion have college degrees in areas that provide a back up plan and/or L7 gigs. It doesn't tell what his level of passion is for music. I worked at a major label years ago. They gave me a scholarship and I got a degree in Finance and passed the Series 7. I have never had a gig outside of Audio or Film ever. Many lawyer's have been brilliant record execs. Like Clive Davis.

The Media Composer subscriptions model started off the same way. Whining and complaining. The first release had nothing in it. Just like the first 12. Since then they have added new features regularly and a year later no one is whining and moaning anymore. Patience no longer exists in the "I need it right now" era. Now those of us on HD do have a gripe because they have not announced anything for us yet. However Avid may just get rid of the hardware requirement like they did with Media Composer and allow HD software only subs. We'll see. Avid has to come thru if they want to keep users and gain subs.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
I think most the anger comes from users needing to update yearly or they loose that ability if their plan lapses.
The anger isn't coming from me about the need to update every year. I've been updating software for years and I've got 4 different programs that have periodic updates so it's not a money issue.

However, when I update those, I get something that has value in return. All it would take to make me update to PT 12 would have been something simple as having a track that is record enabled automatically mute itself if I pressed record and then unmute itself if I simply wanted playback. I don't need to hear track effects at zero latency on a record enabled track going in. I don't see how that would be possible except in the early stages of a project without DSP hardware.

Sure I'd like to have track freeze like I have in SONAR. Yes, I would like track templates without making me work outside of PT in Windows Explore but I can wait a bit for those.

Now, I'll simply keep PT 11 so that if someone insists on working in Pro Tools, I can say I have it.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
something simple as having a track that is record enabled automatically mute itself if I pressed record and then unmute itself if I simply wanted playback.
If you haven't already explored this workflow, check out Setup > Preferences > Operation tab > Record Section > disable "Link Record and Play Faders". Record arm whichever tracks you want, pull the faders down. Now they cut automatically when armed for record.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
Well I'm not a moderator and I've said many times over that 12 works better on my system that 11.
Could you please explain "better"? Pro Tools Expert saw no difference in performance between 11 and 12.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

He did not see any drop in CPU use, that might be true...but Im experiencing less drop outs and CPU spikes.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
He did not see any drop in CPU use, that might be true...but Im experiencing less drop outs and CPU spikes.
Same here and the load time is under 5 seconds for a 80-100 track session which is a third of the load time on PT11HD! Extremely fast!

No 9173 errors or 6101 erros, overall feel is much better and face it - More Stable. Sorry to dissapoint

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If you haven't already explored this workflow, check out Setup > Preferences > Operation tab > Record Section > disable "Link Record and Play Faders". Record arm whichever tracks you want, pull the faders down. Now they cut automatically when armed for record.
Thank you for this tip. I will definitely explore this workflow. At first glance, it looks like it will be an acceptable variation on the way I've worked in the past and will keep me from having to use the program AutoMute which works great for the most part but plays havoc on my midi device count in Windows.