Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2000, 10:42 AM

Default Looking for consultant

I'm in Charleston, SC and I am looking for training with G3, Pro-tools, Kurzweil 2000 etc. Can I post my request for someone in the area to contact me. Obviously I'm willing to pay. Tech support on the phone is not very productive for a novice such as I. I have read the manuals too many times, and frustration is building. All those claims about getting us musicians back to our creative tasks are a bunch of hooey.This is a genuinely steep process, and I would like to shorten the learning curve with some professional assistance. Preferably someone who truly knows what they are doing, and not the typical tech person on the phone, who it seems to me is learning on my time. The charges after the first few months are quite high for what one gets in return. I'm sure that there must be plenty more in my position out there. I notice now after having read some of the problems that are posted that I'm not alone. This is truly deceptive sales. Pro tools tells me that the retailer is responsible for support. Well, I believe that it is incumbent upon digidesign to train them well so the support is qualitative from the start. I know that I'm sounding bitter. But, in my quest to find assistance, I have come across several individuals who tell me how rude and brusque the support people have been to them, so they have stopped calling, and like myself are looking for one on one help.If there is anyone in the Charleston, SC area who is available, (for pay of course) please contact me at Ikay @dycon.com Thanks
Old 02-08-2000, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Looking for consultant

Hang in there Ian.

I am not near you, however, I rememeber when I started out with PT 1.0 (actually e applications pro deck and pro edit)......We used to call it crash tools, It wasn't very stable and I just couldn't get it to work at all, between the crashes and the confusion. Then one day after a good bit of practice the lights came on. It was like when I learned the guitar; scales up the wazoo, then one day...bam, I was a (shred a soar us rex) . PT is much faster than guitar, however, it takes time and a bit of effort. I was ready to throw the thing out the window (literally)......instead I relaxed, read a bit, tried what I read, relaxed, read a bit, tried it.....etc....

I hate to brag, but I will , now, clients tell me all the time, they have never seen one man drive a CPU so hard and fast, editing extremely fast and with surgical precision......there were times when I never thought I would get it though. It really is the best user interface out there. I hope whatever happens in the hardware market, digi keeps pumping out Pro Tools software.......Just checkin' in man, keep at it.

The learning curve is worth it.......I am the first one to rag digi about it's faults. However, I can find no fault in the interface.

Peace

e

PS; I hit command S in a quick flash, after almost every edit......and "save as" after major moves....C.U.

[This message has been edited by editor (edited February 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by editor (edited February 09, 2000).]
Old 02-10-2000, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Looking for consultant

Yeah man hang in there, just take it one day at a time. I've had my system for about 7 months and can remember the first two months, I experienced about 7 crashes every day, I couldn't make any music, tech support at Logic didn't know jack ****, and still doesn't, I was so frustrated. I bought one of those Cool School Interactus to try and learn it, but the best way to learn is through trial and error. Don't try to read the manual like a text book(Well you can if you want, it didn't work for me is all I'm saying)- I found that the only time I actually learned was from wanting to do something on PT's, and going to the manual to learn how to do it. Also post any questions you have to this forum, there are a lot of brilliant engioneers here, besides this place is a lot better than waiting on the phone for tech support who has not a clue.