Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2002, 09:45 AM

Default Talk Back

I am looking to create a talkback system for an ISO(isolation) booth I am using an 001 and a Behringer powerplay for headphones. But I need to come up with an inexpensive...make that cheap talkback. Sombody must have done this I just think I'm overlooking something really obvious.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2002, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Talk Back

Run a line into one of you mixer inputs and assign a track you just have to remember to mute it when you're not talking.

We use Walkie-Talkie's... it's cheap and simple... just put one in the room for them to listen through and they can of course, talk to you through the mic.

chris
others will probably have better ideas.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:51 AM

Hey there....

Since I run everything through my Tango 24 and lightpipe it in, so I can use the open preamps on the digi as a talkback mic. But the same applies to any open input you still have. Just plug in your mic, set up an aux channel with the "in" you have the in That's it. As long as you don't record on that channel you are good to go.

I know some people go through their mixing boards also, but since I lightpipe it makes no sense for me.

CiTi

Hope this helps...
Old 06-28-2002, 10:01 AM

No, I am avoiding the use of a mixer which would add noise to the system any other ideas. That would be too easy
Old 06-28-2002, 10:05 AM

Ya, do what citi said. Plug a mic into a free input, and create an aux track for that input. I always just plug one into one of the digi inputs, then make an aux track, and just mute it when you don't want them to hear you.

P.S. if you accidently double-post (and we all do from time to time), you can go back and delete the second one. It keeps it less cluttered here.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 06-28-2002, 10:07 AM

You could buy one of those cheap home intercom
systems like they sell at the hardware stores.
Lowe's or Home Depot.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:11 AM

Thats a good idea also...

I just had a thought, which I might even impliment.....

Find a really cheap mixer just like a little 4 channel....

Run your monitor out's to it, then to your headphone amp. You could then add your control mic to one of the channels, totally bypassing the recording chain while not using up one of your precious inputs on the 001...

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 06-28-2002, 10:59 AM

If you have line of sight, a good engineer can communicate through hand gestures... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I found a article somewhere, sometime ago....Oh yeah, it was in an issue of "Recording" that had 25 different hand signals for communicating with your musician...

Oh yeah, and it's free.

7/7
Old 06-28-2002, 11:29 AM

Dont'cha hate it when you select all in the groups menu and then forget when you have it selected, then you try to mute something and everything mutes and then you unintentionally unmute the talkback mic and get the feedback loop of death? know what I mean?

It is a very wise idea to use a mixer for the headphone mix, you can put all your communication mics to it, so they never go to the speaker.

I'm thinking about pzm's for the job. I have a real good cue mic, but everything needs phantom power, and I don't want to get cheap stuff so I'll have to wait on the system, but I think it will be a better way to do things.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 06-28-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keny:
Dont'cha hate it when you select all in the groups menu and then forget when you have it selected, then you try to mute something and everything mutes and then you unintentionally unmute the talkback mic and get the feedback loop of death? know what I mean?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL, [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I know exactly what you mean...