Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: PC user here, but for how long?

I agree, I use pc-sonar and acid to throw together scratch tracks, or as a compositional tool if you will, gotta love blasting together loop layers quickly.

then OMF to protools on G4 where I track the song, finalize and make it real, nothing beats a mac for pure creativity and I use both platforms side by side, in the same studio, one for left brain work and one for right. I'll even slave the pc to my G4, or even use the pc to run reason and soft synths tracked to the G4.
Do it, buy the mac...you won't be sorry.

Pro Tools 24.3.1
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 | Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB | 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 | OSX 14.3.1

Ensoniq ASR10 and VFX SD, Yamaha EX7, Protools, Logic, UAD studio ecosystem, old but trusty TDM system, Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Focusrite, SSL, various vintage outboard- Tubes keep me warm in the winter. Yes, I still keep a reel to reel running Ampex 456.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:26 PM

I used PTLE on a PC years ago, and switched due to plug-ins that were available for PC's back then. I still use my PC for uploading & downloading, surfing..... so if I get burned with a virus or something I'm only out of a $500 PC I can replace by going to my neighborhood grocery store and picking one up.{not flaming my PC bro's...just the facts!} The Mac is waaaaayy, and I mean waayyy easier to work on!
Want to add a internal HD? Just open up the door and put it in! IN minutes you'll be makin' music!
Want to add memory? Just open up the door and put it in! IN minutes you'll be makin' music!
Want to add a PCI card {001}? Just open up the door and put it in! IN minutes you'll be makin' music!Try any of these installs on a PC. You have to be a contortionist( did I spell that right?)
Want to install a FW hard drive? Just plug it in!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Sure, some cost more than PC's. SO WHAT!!!
With the Mac you get Quick time ability with PTLE, Digistudio/ is it for PC's yet? A bigger variety of Plug-ins. Logic 6 if you want it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
As for DV editing.....imovie3,Final Cut Pro. Avid Xpress DV on OSX, I seen a demo where the guy had layers nested in layers with titles and color effects, no rendering.
Get a Mac or wait for that 3000+ athlon thingy and RAWK!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
In all seriousness, I believe my Mac with PTLE running, in the past 3 years or so has crashed maybe 4 times and they were all operator(me) error related!
Old 02-28-2003, 11:49 PM

In OS9 you can't jump to any directory in any drive from anywhere, slowing things down a lot as I browse for samples with Reason and Battery. Cut and paste don't work on my desktop, let alone anywhere else apart from within text or sound editors. The home and end keys don't do what they should. This is really basic, generic stuff that should work in every instance in my opinion. Different apps on the Mac have different ways of browsing, where on a PC its mostly the same 'Open' dialog that comes up and it works with all the functionality of Windows Explorer. I expect something to happen and it does, and that to me is more intuitive. These may sound like little things but there doesn't seem to be a way around clicking everything with the mouse on the Mac. I have had several people who are good with Macs show me how to use the interface from the keyboard, but its still not quite as fast.

And I should point out that I didn't actually switch, I do run both side by side [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 04:44 AM

Quote:
In OS9 you can't jump to any directory in any drive from anywhere, slowing things down a lot as I browse for samples with Reason and Battery.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you mean you CAN jump to any directory from anywhere????? I can do what you just said it couldn't do.

PCs big pro is it can run alot of plug ins that nobody I know would use at the same time.
But the con is who really uses those plugs and all at the same time.

Anyway if you want to use the best plug ins. (like DaD and McDSP). You could run Reason with Protools TODAY. Not wait. You could wait til XP catches up with the Mac OS with features. By the time that happens the 970 will be out. I for one don't have time to wait.

To me a PC is like a drag racer and a Mac is like a Road racer. It really depends on what you want to do.

Some people like me are Mac users who use Pro Tools. Some are Pro Tools users who use Macs.

Wiz
Old 03-01-2003, 08:32 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

That's a good way of putting it Wiz...
I guess I'm a ProTools user who uses Macs... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chonk:

As for ProTools, you can still get OS9 disks and create a dual boot machine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, but this is not possible on the new models.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> In OS9 you can't jump to any directory in any drive from anywhere, slowing things down a lot as I browse for samples with Reason and Battery.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you mean you CAN jump to any directory from anywhere????? I can do what you just said it couldn't do.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, I mean I can't. I think I have one application that lets me just straight to another drive without having to go back up to the desktop.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chonk:

As for ProTools, you can still get OS9 disks and create a dual boot machine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but this is not possible on the new models.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, Apple is still shipping MDD models that will boot OS9. There are 2 models of dual 1.25 G4 Powermacs that will still boot OS9.

All the Powermacs on the first page of the Apple Store, however, will only boot OSX.

So, through June of this year, you *can* buy a Powermac that will boot OS9 natively, it's just that it's the older version dual 1.25.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:30 AM

At my day job I use a 2ghz P4 with 512 MB DDR next to my little iMac 400 that I use for audio and I have used PT free on both platforms. I have installed PT LE on the PC but I haven't used it that much but I will say that since I got my mac last year, I have not regretted it. The thing is, Apple just supports creatie media. You can find several Pro Tools articles on the Apple website, they just do more with audio and video. MS on the other hand doesn't even hardly know that we (sound engineers) exist. Win XP is not a bad platform and I think that it is viable now and you can get a system with the same raw speed for a lot cheaper that way, but Apple with OS X is more interested making a polished, smooth and reliable media production platform that just making the "fastest" machine around. BTW, I get very suspicious about this whole "PCs are faster" thing, the 2ghz P4 that I use is not enough faster than my 400mhz iMac to make me believe that a dual 1.42 G4 wouldn't hold it's own against ANY P4 or XEON or Athlon out there. Most of the Mac advantages cannot be written on paper. They just become evident when you use one for a while.
Also, don't get rid of the PC, they are handy to have around, but you will fing yourself using it less and less.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 AM

About those new superdirves, won't you be able to get the added funtion with third party software? I use a firewire DVD+RW and it is recognized by CharisMac Discribe in OS X. So I would think that you could just buy a copy of discribe to get full functionality of your drive.
Maybe not, let me know.