How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2023, 06:02 PM

Default Pro tools 2021 rtas support

Hi everyone,

I ve looked all around and I couldn t find a single clue on what s happening, so if anyone could help please:

I run Pro Tools 2021 on a windows 10

I installed BFD2 and PodFarm 1 and 2 for the first time on this system

The stand alone versions of the plug ins work fine, but they don t show on pro tools plug in list

The softwares are old, but I have been installing them on several systems and versions of Pro Tools throughout the years, on mac and windows and it has always worked fine.

Looked at the program files folders and it all seems to be in order, there are folders for every plug in and the .dll file

I have installed FXPansions DCAMFree compressor which is just as old, and it works fine and all, the problem is just with those two plug ins (which weren´t free at all by the way)

Can anyone answer me whether pro tools doesn´t support those plug ins anymore because they re RTAS or if this could be another kind of issue?

thanks a lot
Old 04-09-2023, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 21021 rtas support

Pro Tools hasn’t supported RTAS plugins since v10 which was over a decade ago now.

You need to update to the latest versions which support AAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Pro Tools hasn’t supported RTAS plugins since v10 which was over a decade ago now.

You need to update to the latest versions which support AAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree here. The RTAS plugins do not even sound good either compared to AAX and also they were always crashing on my HD Access system.
YOU'd be better off with ProTools free-:)
They are having promos also.
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools?promo...=homepage,hero

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-09-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I agree here. The RTAS plugins do not even sound good either compared to AAX and also they were always crashing on my HD Access system.
YOU'd be better off with ProTools free-:)
They are having promos also.
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools?promo...=homepage,hero
PT Free is history. Never worked well, anyway.
Its equivalent today is Pro Tools Intro. Also free, but very limited in number of tracks etc.

Anyway, I think what Sardi meant was not to update PT, but the plugins in question. (If they in fact have current AAX versions. I don't know. You'll have to check.) PT11 and later use AAX, and RTAS is out.

AAX sounding better than RTAS… first time I've heard. I used both for over ten years, and thru the transition, but never heard that, or about that.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2021 rtas support

Yes.

RTAS/TDM were supported until PT 10.3.10
AAX64 are supported since PT 11.0.0

Clear enough?
Old 04-10-2023, 02:59 AM

FYI BFD3 (not BFD2) does exist for AAX, so you should be able to upgrade that and use it basically like you're used to.

Pod Farm 1/2 are dead and never made the jump to AAX. Helix Native is the logical replacement, as it contains (I believe) all the Pod models, as well as the models from the classic four-button pedals (DL4 etc) and the M5/M9 series. It sounds great, I use it all the time, though it's not cheap (unless you happen to have a Helix/HX pedal, in which case it's $70).
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies

Last edited by huzzam; 04-10-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: whitespace is all wonky
Old 04-10-2023, 08:59 AM

As an owner of Pod Farm, you are entitled to a special upgrade price for Helix Native. Log in to your Line 6 account to see it. However, they put their software on sale a few times a year, usually half price. If you wait til then, your upgrade will be half price as well.

EDIT: It may not be half price, but rather 30%. Whatever it is, it applies to upgrades as well.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
PT Free is history. Never worked well, anyway.
Its equivalent today is Pro Tools Intro. Also free, but very limited in number of tracks etc.

Anyway, I think what Sardi meant was not to update PT, but the plugins in question. (If they in fact have current AAX versions. I don't know. You'll have to check.) PT11 and later use AAX, and RTAS is out.

AAX sounding better than RTAS… first time I've heard. I used both for over ten years, and thru the transition, but never heard that, or about that.
No problem. I heard it from several mastering engineers who had used both and felt it was better for them. PT Free or Intro, probably the same thing. I do not know. Something to do with how they were ported over or something.. I can't see staying in the past looking in the rear view to older tech. At some point it's just false economy. If the person is not wanting to pay a "sub", then go with another DAW. There are plenty decent ones out there for less depending on what they need it for, which was not indicated in the post.

All good-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-10-2023, 10:29 AM

PT Free was RTAS era, and at that time TDM was for full price customers only.

PT Intro is AAX era.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
PT Free or Intro, probably the same thing. I do not know. Something to do with how they were ported over or something.
Just for the record; I haven't tested neither Free or Intro, but I expect Intro to be as stable as any of the other three "tiers", now that they are the same install, and one's license determines what features are available.