Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 05:14 PM

Default Using dangerous box plus with avid carbon

Hi
I have avid carbon and Dangerous DBOX+.

My current setup is:
Carbon + (API 5500 EQ + NEVE MBP + Dangerous Compressor + Warm Audio EQP-WA) all connected serial, going from carbon DB25 out 7&8 to all HWs then coming back to carbon inputs 7&8

If I Inserted the DBOX+ in my current audio diagram I assume that I need to change the setup as follows:
-Carbon Line out DB25 to Summing in the DBOX+
-Summing out from DBOX+ to Carbon 7&8 inputs
-For the HW chain it should be from DBOX+ line out to the HWs and then from the HWs to Carbon 5&6 inputs "I'm not sure if this will create audio loop or not?"

are there any benefits (sound quality/ headroom etc..) from using the DBOX+ for summing with the carbon?

I'm asking because I want to know If I have to keep the DBOX+ out of the current setup I have currently or use it.
I have only one set of monitors currently and the only benefit I could have from the DBOX+ is the summing

Thank you
Old 02-18-2023, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Using dangerous box plus with avid carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhafaji View Post
Hi
I have avid carbon and Dangerous DBOX+.

My current setup is:
Carbon + (API 5500 EQ + NEVE MBP + Dangerous Compressor + Warm Audio EQP-WA) all connected serial, going from carbon DB25 out 7&8 to all HWs then coming back to carbon inputs 7&8

If I Inserted the DBOX+ in my current audio diagram I assume that I need to change the setup as follows:
-Carbon Line out DB25 to Summing in the DBOX+
-Summing out from DBOX+ to Carbon 7&8 inputs
-For the HW chain it should be from DBOX+ line out to the HWs and then from the HWs to Carbon 5&6 inputs "I'm not sure if this will create audio loop or not?"

are there any benefits (sound quality/ headroom etc..) from using the DBOX+ for summing with the carbon?

I'm asking because I want to know If I have to keep the DBOX+ out of the current setup I have currently or use it.
I have only one set of monitors currently and the only benefit I could have from the DBOX+ is the summing

Thank you
I have never used a summing box so take with a grain of salt (Also I do not know about an audio loop , or not) --
BUT.
I don't know but would not think you are going to gain much sonically by using the D box to sum,, over just using the Carbon .....Me I would probably sell it, and put the proceeds into something else .. but that is just me

And so it looks like you are using your Hardware units like a 2 bus mastering chain --correct ?
And it seems the API the Neve and the Dangerous comp are all 2 channel and WA EQ is a single channel Pultec based ?

My self I would pull the WA EQ out of the 2 channel chain and run on it's own channel in and out of the Carbon as a separate insert option, from the two channel chain . Myself I personally like the Pultec for vocals and Acoustic guitar. .... that way you could put it directly on a vocal or guitar track and would give a more targeted effect. just a thought

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-18-2023, 09:41 AM

As far as the summing, opinions are all over the place on this as to sound quality benefit. Since you have the unit, you should just try it and see what you think. If you like it, that's all that should matter.

Regarding coming in on 5-6, not sure why you can't come in on 7-8, if that's what you're already doing with the existing hardware. It would just be Dbox line out to hardware to line in 7-8.

One area where the summing would help is if you want to use those hardware units on individual channels or busses during mixdown, for the simple fact that you avoid insert delay compensation issues as well as the extra step of a/d and d/a conversion. You might find that's worth it even if you feel the summing doesn't offer any sound benefit.

Lastly, while the Dbox is an excellent unit, a lot of its features are made redundant because the Carbon has some of those features already, compared to other setups or interfaces (monitor control and switching, good conversion, headphones, talkback, etc.). So it seems expensive for what you'd be gaining from it. So in that sense I agree with Kevin that you might do better putting that money into other things.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:41 PM

Thank you Gents
I have tested the DBOX+ summing vs Carbon and I don't think I need the DBOX+ anymore , I'm going to sell it.

Regards,
Ali
Old 02-18-2023, 09:18 PM

I have the 1st. version D-Box and came to the same conclusion.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.