Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
** THIRD TYPE OF FOLDER PLEASE **

1. Basic Folder
2. Routing Folder
3. VCA Folder : VCA automatically assigned to the tracks in that folder, and a VCA on the folder strip. In this way, all tracks in the group can be controlled and their corresponding sends will adjust accordingly (unlike the routing folder), but no extra real estate is taken up with another VCA fader. Any tracks moved into the folder automatically assigned to that VCA group.

Thanks. Cheers. Nice one. Ta.
MR

I like these ideas. But not sure a third type of folder is required. It would be great to see much more integration with groups. For example:

Basic folder is a VCA track folder. Creating a Folder creates the Group. Any tracks ctrl+drag into Basic/VCA folder automatically becomes part of Group and is assigned to the VCA. ctrl+drag out of the Basic/VCA folder removes track from Group and VCA action.

Routing folder is a Group track folder. Creating a Folder creates the Group. Any tracks ctrl+drag into Routing/Group folders are automatically assigned the Group and the Track's output routing is set to the Routing Folder. ctrl+drag out of Routing/Group folder removes track from Group and resets output routing to 'default'

This would essentially give "Quick Group" functionality to allow tracks to be quickly added and removed from groups/VCAs.

Just some ideas to help make Folder Tracks more useful.

BUT, I really can't fully utilize folders because the view can't be changed during recording

ejinbc
Old 05-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor022 View Post
1.) Control app: I do not see a way in tracks view to show folder tracks only.

Surface (S3): The folders remain spilled regardless of how they appear on the mix window.

PT: no issues there

2. Control app: I would like tracks view to have all my folders at the top and Closed up...tap a folder boom, spilled on the S3. Only showing folder members. Also to have a prefence in eucon to spill it to the daw as well like an automatic memory location/window config, so the mix window quickly pops up folders that were selected from tracks view on app. Both at once tracks view tap= spill to s3 and mix view...only showing selected folder. Deselecting the folder from the control app and brings everything back how it was before.

Open and close folders from iPad tracks view would be very cool. And I would like it to affect the DAW. So if I just want to open it but not spill. I would like both choices readily available. Maybe modifier + tap = open/close. Tap = Spill like a memory location (left to right). Only displaying folder members.

Surface (S3): I am aware that an update is fixing what I want...obviously close the folder on mix window means the members are hidden on the surface. I really want the s3 to always mirror the mix window. I want the mix window and s3 tracks to lock even when spilling folders.

DAW/ Eucon: How do I mirror my mix window on my s3? Can that be a eucon pref...Surface mirrors mix window? Check.

Thanks for this sticky, Folder tracks are awesome. This is awesome
Wow! What an efficient workflow that would be if I had a controller with a dock! +1. So great for switching in and out of large groups on the fly!
Old 05-05-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
MR

I like these ideas. But not sure a third type of folder is required. It would be great to see much more integration with groups. For example:

Basic folder is a VCA track folder. Creating a Folder creates the Group. Any tracks ctrl+drag into Basic/VCA folder automatically becomes part of Group and is assigned to the VCA. ctrl+drag out of the Basic/VCA folder removes track from Group and VCA action.

Routing folder is a Group track folder. Creating a Folder creates the Group. Any tracks ctrl+drag into Routing/Group folders are automatically assigned the Group and the Track's output routing is set to the Routing Folder. ctrl+drag out of Routing/Group folder removes track from Group and resets output routing to 'default'

This would essentially give "Quick Group" functionality to allow tracks to be quickly added and removed from groups/VCAs.

BUT, I really can't fully utilize folders because the view can't be changed during recording

ejinbc
No arguments from me on this, all sounds great to me.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
MR

ejinbc
I don't disagree, either, but I'm guessing it will be easier to implement a new folder type, than to change the existing functionality of the Basic Folders. When you change existing functionality, someone will always be unhappy
Old 05-06-2020, 04:01 AM

I’d be very interested to know : can anyone describe or explain a situation where having a routing folder, with some tracks routed to it, but others routed elsewhere (not including subfolders within that folder) is of genuine use? The only one I can think of is updating legacy sessions to look “tidier” without destroying the original mix. Genuinely struggling to think of any other situations.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 05-06-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I’d be very interested to know : can anyone describe or explain a situation where having a routing folder, with some tracks routed to it, but others routed elsewhere (not including subfolders within that folder) is of genuine use? The only one I can think of is updating legacy sessions to look “tidier” without destroying the original mix. Genuinely struggling to think of any other situations.

For organizational purposes. For example, sometimes I want my parallel drum compression to go through the drum buss and sometimes not. But if I want to hide all drum tracks, now I can just close the folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 05-06-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
A bus group (e.g. Drums) with reverb returns that are routed to the main mix bus but are used exclusively for that bus group.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
For organizational purposes. For example, sometimes I want my parallel drum compression to go through the drum buss and sometimes not. But if I want to hide all drum tracks, now I can just close the folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So does your “mute” for your routed folder mute all the drums? Or are some of them still open? Thanks for your input btw.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
A bus group (e.g. Drums) with reverb returns that are routed to the main mix bus but are used exclusively for that bus group.
Ah yes that makes sense as the “mute” on the folder would still mute everything in that folder. I think I’m having trouble with the concept of a mute on a folder that isn’t muting everything contained within it. Even though I’ve lived the same thing for aux tracks for years. Guess it’s a conceptual thing.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hey guys,

All data is lost when you save a closed folder track as a track preset.
Please ignore this post. It was pointed out to me later that this exists as an option in the track preset dialogue, and I've been using it since then. Folder tracks rule!

I wish the same sort of thing could be implemented when freezing folder tracks. Currently, it works just like freezing aux tracks, ie: only the folder track is frozen (which of course makes sense). However, I feel it would be a tremendous time-saver if there was an option to also freeze member tracks together with the folder. I know PT mimics an analog console, but we don't have to be limited by older routing concepts. There are many scenarios where one would want to freeze both the folder track and its members, and it was discussed a little here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410034

There were mixed feelings, but I think folder tracks can continue to behave the way they do currently, and also have the option to freeze their members when the folders are frozen, as it is with saving track presets. As was pointed out in the course of the discussion, there could be problems with member tracks that don't have their audio routed through the folders. I think the present flexible routing of folders is well thought out, but I also feel there could be a clever implementation to keep member tracks unfrozen that one doesn't want to freeze. Maybe a preference either to freeze only the folder or not, and options to:

1. Freeze the folder together with member tracks that are routed though it
2. Freeze the folder together with all its members.

I know on the surface it doesn't seem necessary, but after a little thought it can be seen how useful this shortcut can be. Please think about it and support it if you like the idea, and let's see if Avid can do this for us. PT would then have the most flexible folder tracks ever, despite the late entry.