Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM

Default bought newer G4, how do I transfer PTLE, Waves etc

Just bought a newer qs g4 with the sonnet dual processor at 1.3, maxed out ram to replace my rock solid but under powerd 733. So the question is how do I smoothly transfer over my Reason/Ptle, score program, wave npp etc. I was thinking about taking the one hardrive which has both the 9.2 and 10.3.8 and shoving that drive into the niew computer. Will that work? What constitutes the the identity of the computer, the hard drive or is it the motherboard or what? I know when the motherboard on my G3 fried I just bought another G3, stuck my old hard drive in it and it was no prob. I'm expecting if I have to start from scratch PTLE and Reason will be cool. But I sure as heck don't want to have to repurchase my waves stuff.

I'm sure someone on this list has gone thorough this. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW I'm using this with an 001 otherwise I would have just gone to a g5.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: bought newer G4, how do I transfer PTLE, Waves

You should be able to swap drives no problem between G4s. You should back everything up first just in case though.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: bought newer G4, how do I transfer PTLE, Waves

Thanks for the advice. I have a total of five physical drives, I'l back up the whole drive before I pull it out. Hopefully I'll have no issues. Like I say my system right now is absolutely rock solid but when I start doing intense mixes the old " you are running out of proessing power kiks in pretty quick. The computer I'm getting is kind of a stop gap measure against time but it should meet my needs for a couple of years and was a whole lot less money than what I paid for the 733

Any other advice gladly entertained

B